Sunday, September 7, 2008

A Walk in the Park

We are all settled into our room for tonight. We are old pros at this, so everything went very smoothly. We arrived at the hospital at about 2 pm and we had to check in through the ER. Every sick child in Harris county was in the lobby this afternoon. As a child was walking past Randy holding Justin he sneezed and Randy told Justin not to breathe. Do you think that helped?

We got our chest x-ray and EKG and the blood and urine samples. They got the vein on the FIRST stick! That was a huge answer to prayer. Last time they stuck him 3 times, and still didn't get an IV started. They taped is arm all up with the board to keep it from coming out, but they left his thumb out. Big mistake! He has been going after that thumb like crazy! He is asleep now, and we can expect a visit at midnight to start IV fluids and then I will feed him at 2:30 and THAT'S ALL! We confirmed that with the cardiovascular charge nurse.

We have had a long day today. Travis woke up at 5:30 and so we got up and made cinnamon rolls. We made a double batch and brought some with us, so the first few people here in the morning to see us get breakfast! Then we had some family time and went to the park. Travis had a blast and Randy snuggled with Justin as he took a nap. It was beautiful weather and we enjoyed it thoroughly.

This will be it. Tomorrow they will take Justin from us and I will have to wait. I have to keep my focus above and trust that God will care for him tomorrow and beyond. All I know is that the instant I take my eyes off God, I feel a weight on my chest and the burden seems unbearable. When I look back up, I feel lighter. It's not only spiritual, but physical as well. I know that this is only a blip on the radar of Justin's life, and I look forward to the rest with eager anticipation.

1 comment:

Carly said...

We are praying! I pray that you will feel God's touch throughout this whole process. We love your family and we look forward to celebrating the success of this surgery. You have amazing strength and courage, Danielle. You are a wonderful example to me and so many others. God bless you all!