Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Recovery: Day 8 (Evening)


Most of the rest of the day I spent alone with Justin since Randy went to try to save our freezer from certain death. (Remember the post about my "burgeoning" freezer??) We were fine since we are kind of just biding our time to make certain that there are no complications from the chest tube. Travis came to visit again, which was great. There is a playroom on the floor that is open for certain hours during the day, and outside the room there are little cars and vehicles (all foot powered) with which the kids can play. It's really more for the patients, but we let Travis play with one for a short time. Now that will be the thing he remembers about Justin's time in the hospital.




Really, the day was peaceful. Things are starting to get back to normal, so several of our friends were discharged today, including Megan, a little girl born 3 days after Justin who had surgery the same day. We are happy for them and are anxious to follow them home tomorrow.

Of course, home is relative right now. Our home is on a weird power grid that only has about 12 houses on it (really!) and we lose power a lot. Plus, we heard that there are 3 poles down behind our house, so they have to be re"planted" before we can get power. So, if nothing changes, we will be heading to my sister's apartment when we leave tomorrow. With the gas situation (waiting in lines for more than 3 hours to fill up, etc.) we cannot risk being too far from TCH if there is a problem with Justin. We also have to return to the cardiologist soon for a check up and stitch removal. So, if I thought it would be difficult to stay home to avoid getting sick before, this is going to be even better! And the doctor said that until we are sure that the water is okay, I need to boil it for Justin's baths. Fortunately, they will only be sponge baths for a while.

Oh, and the freezer? It was moved to a friend's house (who has power) for the time being. I am not sure how they managed it, but I am sure happy that they did. And from what I hear, the breast milk was saved! But the ice cream was lost, so my mom and Randy drank the half gallon of Cookies and Cream we had just bought!

I have had several offers of places to stay and I might be making the rounds, so now you might wish that you weren't on the list of people who offered to help! One friend who lost 4 trees in her front yard (one hit their car!) said we could stay, but we had to take a tree when we left!

3 comments:

Court said...

I'm just catching up with you guys! I'm so glad Justin is doing well. I have been praying for you guys and was so anxious to hear how it was going. We feel so out of touch! I'll be praying.

Unknown said...

The important thing was that the "liquid gold" in the freezer was saved! Good Job, men! I am so glad to hear that you all will be leaving- we are praying for life to return to normal sooner as opposed to later.

Unknown said...

Well, I feel your pain about the power. Half of our neighborhood has power but OUR half does not and we have some trees down on lines on the back road behind the houses. Soooo, who knows if we have been forgotten! We are dying to get power! I will pray for both of our families to get power back to our houses.