Friday, September 12, 2008

Ten Years


An anniversary always makes one nostalgic. And this is a big one. Ten years ago today, during tropical storm Frances, Randy and I were married. (What are the odds??!) No one truly knows what they are committing to when they say "I do". No one plans to get divorced, no one plans to be unable to have children, no one plans to have a spouse who becomes disabled, no one plans to visit their child in prison, and no one plans to be sitting in the hospital with their child recovering from surgery on their anniversary.


I was reading a blog the other day about someone renewing their vows and she wrote how much more the second time meant because she believed so much more. When he said, "I promise to be with you in good times and bad," her heart soared because she could say, "I know! I believe you! I have seen it!" That is the beauty of marriage. I feel exactly the same. I know that Randy will be with me in good times and bad, because we have been through both. And I have confidence in the future.


I was inspired to watch our wedding video to be reminded what Randy and I vowed during the ceremony. We wrote our own vows and this is what we promised:



God has given you to me and I promise to cherish you as a precious gift, never to be taken for granted. With God as our guide I will build a life together with you, trusting his plan and seeking his counsel. I pledge to be your partner and friend, respecting you, honoring you, caring for you, and encouraging you, all the days of my life. From this day forward, I give you my life and my love.


We read the verse from Ecclesiastes that speaks about a cord of three strands not being easily broken (4:9-12) and my uncle, who was one of the preachers who married us, had us form a braid from cords running from photos of Randy and me, and from the cross. Our cords are gold, and the one from the cross is purple. It is a very clear and visual reminder that it is not just the two of us in this relationship. Well, at least it's not if we want it to survive. God is a vital part and the glue that keeps us together.


Today will be hard, no doubt. Tomorrow, not much better. I pray that God will be glorified through Ike, and that all of my response will be honoring and pleasing to God. I read Psalm 46 last night: "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear...though the waters roar and foam." There is lots of roaring and foaming going on right now. And more is coming. For now, Randy is still here, and he has an arm band to make him "official" for today.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that Randy gets to stay there. Robert and I have been praying for that to happen. Happy Ten Years! Beautiful picture and I love the vows. Be safe friends!

SC said...

Beautiful thoughts about a beautiful union, Danielle -- thanks for sharing. Being apart on your special day is very hard (I know!!). So glad Randy is there with you now. Be safe -- you're covered!

http://i38.tinypic.com/2d1q07p.jpg

Blessings,
Sherry & Geoff

Mrs TD said...

Happy Anniversary dear friends! I was thinking about the "storms" that have followed your special day. Starting with Francis, and then 9/11 and being stuck in the airport, to Ike following your precious son's surgery. You are right God has always been there for you, with you and guided you through the storms. He will do that for the next couple of days too, and all the storms in the future. Be strong and courageous and do not be afraid. God is in control and He will take care of it all.

Love you guys and congrats on 10 years!

Court said...

Beautiful!!! Congratulations! I hope you got my e-mail before my e-mail went down. My prayers are with you.

twin2mb said...

Happy Anniversary and Congratulations! We're so sorry that you have to celebrate your anniversary at the hospital in the middle of a hurricane. But as these 10 years have shown, you guys really can make it through the storms that come your way! Thank you for always being an example to those around you and truly trusting God to help you when you need it most. We are so thankful that you are family. Love you guys and praying that we can see you real soon!

Mireille and Mom