Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Recovery: Day 1

Justin is doing very well. He slept all night without needing any sedatives, and only had a few issues with his blood pressure. They started him on some medicine to help raise it, and he has been responding very well. We were able to get in to see Justin this morning before shift change and we were able to his first flutterings. He started moving his fingers and blinking his eyelids. After shift change when we came back, he was definitely awake! He was moving his arms and his head. It was so good to see. They did another echo today, but we haven't heard the results. Randy was in while they were doing it and he said it looked so much more normal than the other echos. He was able to see 4 chambers and the right color of blood in the right places. They have moved him from side to side so he doesn't get bed sores. They have moved some of the monitors to other fingers and toes to avoid irritation.

Travis came down to visit today. Nana and Me-Me and Pop brought him down and it was such a relief to see him. We got a great report from yesterday! Travis didn't have an accident, and he had great fun with his friend who came to stay. We went and watched the train in the Abercrombie building. It's a huge village set up with a carnival and playground and lake with lots of little people. It has buttons for the kids to push to make the trains run, and Travis was fascinated with it!



We went for lunch with Travis and then napped at our hotel. He loves the construction site that is next to the hospital. It has lots of cool cranes and bulldozers. That plus the train that runs through the the med center are enough to keep him happy for hours. Fortunately he didn't ask to see Justin. We will wait until he gets out of ICU for that.

I think today was tougher than yesterday. I felt so torn between everything and everyone today. That's why I had to leave this post until late tonight. I didn't get to spend as much time with Justin has I wanted today. Yesterday I knew that Travis was okay, and I had someone being my communicator, and all my focus could be Justin. But I know that Travis needed me, and I had to pump milk, and make phone calls, and I could NOT stop yawning! I was able to get a nap with Travis, but still I feel like SOMETHING was always neglected. I haven't been as good with letting God guide the day. That has been the difference I think. I had a visitor today who helped me refocus, and that was the jolt I needed.

If anyone wants to come see Justin, you may come to the ICU. Come to the West Tower, 17th floor and speak with the receptionist. She will call us to come down to get you. If we are not in ICU, you can check in the waiting room on the 17th floor, or call our cell phones.

3 comments:

Kerri Schaefer said...

Glad that your vistior gave you the jolt you needed! You are a great momma! Stay focused on God and He will provide everything you need. Also remember in the days to come that you heart, Travis's heart and Justin's heart all are connected by the invisible string of love. You might be away or side by side, but your love is felt at all times. It is like our invisble string of love and fatih with our Father!!! Love you and praying for you!
Kerri

D'Lyn said...

It's so natural to want to be everything to everybody -- particularly for someone as organized as you are. But don't stress about the details -- just take care of what you can and keep your focus where you need to. God's got it all under control -- the details are His job. I believe He delights in taking care of the little details of our lives because that's how He shows us he's got the Big Picture in hand. Everyone in my house has a sore throat this week, so we're staying far from Children's. But please know you're NOT far from our hearts and prayers.
Much love,
d.

Unknown said...

I pray for peace for you today that God will guide you where you need to be. I have walked where you are walking now my friend and know it is not easy. Look up and not down as you take each step! I love you guys!