Thursday, September 11, 2008

Recovery: Day 3 (PM)

So much has happened today, and it's all good! They started out the day removing the CPAP machine and he did so good with that. He liked being free again. They did find out when they did the chest x-ray that the upper part of his right lung was collapsed so they ordered some therapy. We call it the thumper therapy. The respiratory therapist has one of the baby breathing masks with some tongue depressors taped to it. He uses it for pounding lightly on his back to clear anything that might be in his lungs and somehow to help it reinflate. I don't know how it works, but Justin LOVES it! He fell right asleep. We will be hiring him for our personal use when we leave here.

Then the fun started: We have removed one chest tube, the arterial line, the central line, the catheter, and both temperature probes. So that means no more drip medicines and the best part of all....I get to hold him! (When he wakes from his latest thumping.) Justin was so good with all of the lines being taken out. He nearly slept through the entire process. I think once we get the results of the chest x-ray and he wakes up I can feed him too. All he has left is one chest tube and we know we can leave ICU with that still in place. I think it might be to our benefit that we have the storm coming. They are trying to get as many babies as they can out of here because anyone left they have to move down to the 3rd floor.


It has been a whirlwind. I was so focused on making it through surgery that I hadn't given much thought to the recovery. I am so glad that God did and he set everything in motion for us long before. We have met lots of great people here in ICU, including a roommate with DS and another little girl born the day that Justin's surgery was originally scheduled. I haven't had much time to process much, but the overwhelming theme it praise and thanksgiving.


Here's some of the pictures from today:

Taking out the central line

Thumper Therapy

Our boy, free at last!

6 comments:

Mrs TD said...

What awesome news! I will be somewhat absent from the computer preparing for the storm, and our possible house guests, but I am thinking about you all and so excited that we all may be able to come visit you soon! Love you guys!

Tracie Upham said...

What great news! Now where's the photo of Justin back in his mommy's arms - where he belongs?

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for y'all! Thanks for posting today. Y'all have been on "our" minds all day wondering with the storm and all. Praise God for such awesome news! Justin looks sooooo good!!! Most important so glad you both get to finally hold him. We are staying in town getting ready for MR. IKE so if you need anything let us know!

Unknown said...

Two words- Praise God!!!!! I can't believe how well he did today! I am soo happy for all of you. Inside I keep thinking did she hold him yet, did she hold him yet? I know you are feeling that personally too. I am thinking of you guys! Take care and give him a kiss for me right between the eyes on the bridge of his nose ( that is my favorite spot on babies)

Amy Mac said...

Justin looks SOOOO great in the pictures! I'm so glad he's doing so well today. I've been thinking about you guys today with the storm coming but I know you're probably in one of the safest places around! It is such a wonderful feeling to get to hold your baby again, isn't it? We'll keep praying that the recovery continues to go smoothly...I know it will!

Court said...

Praise God! Prayers answered! I have been thinking of you guys and praying for you. We may be out of touch, I am on emergency dispatch for the hospital for a few days. We will be thinking of you and praying for you and the family. He looks great! We love you guys!