Thursday, September 11, 2008

Recovery: Day 3 (Evening)

We made it to the regular floor at about 4 pm. Yeah! We are glad to be here, but the bad news was that we learned the hospital plan for the hurricane as we left ICU. Only one parent will be allowed to stay with a patient, and that parent must provide all food, water, and supplies for themselves for 72 hours. Fortunately, we do have that amount of food, but we really do not want Randy to have to leave. Unless we hear otherwise, Randy will have to leave at 7 am.

So Justin is doing well. He still has some amount of sedatives in his system and he is not able to suck right now. He wants to, but he cannot get it to work. He tries his thumb, the pacifier, and I have tried to feed him, and we cannot make it happen. It is now 8:45 pm and he is just starting to be able to get a bit of suction on his thumb. He sleeps for a little bit and then he wakes and cries because he cannot be comforted. I have been in the crib with him and that is the only thing that seems to help.

I was able to talk with Travis tonight and the first thing he said was, "Want to go to the hospital." It breaks my heart! It was SO difficult to tell him that he couldn't come, and that I couldn't see him. He wants mommy, and the evenings are the hardest times. I know Nana and Ami are taking good care of him, but I want my baby! I am so torn. I haven't seen Travis since Tuesday, and I don't think I will be able to see him until Monday probably. That's just not right! I thought that heart surgery was enough for us.

It really looks like Randy will have to leave, which may help with Travis, but it will REALLY make it hard for me with Justin. No one else can come help. And of course, tomorrow is our anniversary...ten years...and I won't even be able to be with him. I am hurting, and the only help is God. He will provide, and again I must give it all to him. I keep thinking that we have made it through the worst, but something else keeps coming up. I am being pushed to the edge, and without sleep I am close to falling. Please pray for us. Justin is in pain and it's a whole new thing for us. He cries when I pick him up because it hurts, and his throat is sore. I want to be here, but I want to be at home. I am glad Randy has been able to stay as long as he has. I am glad that he can be with Travis. God is stronger than Ike and I know that he will prevail.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Start singing BE STILL AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD - you know that song. You have a lot on your mind and your heart- be still God will prevail!

Unknown said...

It is such a blessing that with this hurricane that Justin is doing so much better and in a room! That is such a huge praise. Justin is still doing so well and God is blessing you all throughout this journey. Those blessings may be clouded in the midst of it all, but when the clouds separate, you will be able to see the beautiful road that God led you down. Keep your eyes on the one that will lead you to perfect peace.

Unknown said...

TEN YEARS? Has it really been that long?

It was such a fun summer. I remember the day of your bridal portraits and was so honored to be asked to help with makeup.(of course, you scheduled portraits in the morning, in Katy. I don't like mornings, but you were and still are worth the early effort!) You rushed into my house and asked if I had Dawn dishwashing liquid (I did not), because your veil got caught in the car door and had a spot of grease on it and Dawn takes grease out of your way. We stopped by the store and repaired the veil as best as we could before you posed for the most beautiful photos (I'm still drooling over Mrs. DeCarlo's pearls you got to wear!)....best of all, the grease on the veil didn't show in the pics and the cleaners removed the stain for free! What a blessing.

I remember your wedding day. You looked so beauiful and the chapel was lovely. Despite the early hour (Come on, who gets married at 10 in the morning? You have to be organized to pull off a 10am wedding) there was a festive energy in the building as friends and family watched you and
Randy exchange vows. It was also so special for me to watch my dad participate in the service, looks like the knot he helped tie is strong!

While the hurricane may cause you to be apart, I know you have thousands of cherished memories to reminisce, a whole host of dreams to "organize", and a loving God who holds your family in the palm of his hand.

Looking forward to see what the next 10 years of the Beauchaine/DeCarlo union brings.

Love ya both.

Kerri Schaefer said...

We are praying...rememebr the invisible string. The string of strength and love! Hope the chinese food tasted good and is part of your 72 hours of supply! We will keep track as long as we can and pray inbetween! LOVE YOU!

Kerri