Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Recovery: Day 2 (AM)

We had another good night. They were able to wean Justin off more of the drips, and lower his vent. I really like our night nurse, Tracy. She explained a little more about what needs to happen for us to "graduate" to the regular floor, and then to get home. First is the vent. He has to be extubated for us to move back to the floor. Also, to be able to take food. They will try to start a feeding tube if he stays intubated so he can get more nutrition. They should be able to use breast milk in the feeding tube, maybe with an extra kick of nutrition. Then he cannot be on any drips meds. He needs to move from drip meds, to IV meds, and then oral meds to go home. When they stop the drips meds, they can remove the central line in his neck. They will take out the arterial line which provides a continuous bp reading, and the catheter as well. He can leave the CVICU with the chest tubes, but it sounds like that is the only line that may remain.

When we were in this morning before shift change, they started talking about taking out the LA line, which is the heparin drip into the left side of his heart. That's a start! They hope to do that about 8 am today. Then they will start trying to get off the epinephrine, which is necessary to get out the breathing tube. It looks like today we should start making some progress today. I also have been able to understand a bit more of how much is the right amount of movement, and when he is in distress, and when he is just awake. I am actually fine with his body from the neck down, but now that he is awake and he looks at me, it breaks my heart. The first time he cried, I couldn't help but cry too. He is pleading with me to help, and I can't make it all go away. It's difficult to find a spot to touch him without making him wiggle too much. (He's ticklish like his mama!) I will do much better when I can hold him and cuddle him.

Hopefully we can take some more pictures today. Yesterday he really looked the same as on Moday evening. He is wearing his pom pom hat, and that makes me more cheery if nothing else!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that y'all had a good night! It has to be tough not being able to hold him but know this he feels your love! You are in my thoughts and prayers today! Thank you for keeping all of us updated and so early today. I know everyone wakes up wanting to know how the DeCarlo's did through the night. Praise God for another great night!

Unknown said...

I'm so thankful you had another good night. You'll be home before you know it...Jennie

Sylvia said...

I'm glad things are still going so well. Justin looks like a little bitty angel on the bed. I know there are lots of sweet comforting angels surrounding him and you as you walk through this valley. Thanks for sharing the journey. You do not walk alone.

Court said...

I'm so glad last night was good. It sounds like he is progressing well. We are praying for quick recovery and healing. Keep your head up (we are praying for that as well). Thank you so much for keeping us updated. Your family is surrounded by prayer and you are all very loved.

Unknown said...

Really love the pom-pom hat! In the NICU here in SA there is a group of ladies that make things to keep the beds and babies warm and cheerie! We have lots of them. They remind me of the bittersweetness of the whole hospital thing and I wouldn't trade them for the world. I lost one of them and cried for a week off and on when I thought of it. (Of course it was also one of Jaxon's favorite and when he cried for blue blankie so did I).