Sunday, September 14, 2008

Recovery: Day 6 (Noon)

It is more of the same from TCH. We had a rough night. Justin just wouldn't settle down, so we were up most of the night. We think he is constipated, so we are tackling that today. The chest tube is still draining, so it will stay in another day at least. He is still fine off the oxygen, so that is off for good. He had a bath finally, and that got a lot of the tape residue off, so he looks so much better! It was starting to look like we had let him go roll in the mud! Mostly he is just so tired! He is cranky and will not give it up. He gets it from his brother. Jusitn is eating better too, so we are glad for that. We had broken Justin's bed, so we got a brand new one and it works SO much better.

It looks like they are going to let the "ride out" shifts go home tonight, and bring in the "recovery" teams to staff the hospital. And they are going to start discharging some patients, as long as it is safe to do so. I am not certain what they will do if people have to return to a place with no power, but for now, I am not going to be concerned.

We are missing Travis so very much. We have never been away from him for this long and he is starting to ask for mommy a whole lot. We are so thankful for the phone lines still being okay, so we can talk to him at least. I want to give him the biggest hug and not let go. I am not sure that will happen with a wiggly 2-year-old, but I know he will be holding on too. I trust that God is caring for my family wherever they are.

I talked to my dad today and he mentioned going to church. I had forgotten it was Sunday. That makes me so sad. This is the day to be together as a family, and we can't. It is part of the refining process I am going through. I know I lean on my church family and I believe that we are called to do that, but not at the expense of our relationship with God. God and I have done a lot of talking and I am convinced that the timing is perfect for the surgery, but there is a whole lot of other things that I am having to let go and trust that God will handle. I am certainly not getting it all right, but I can feel a difference and know that God is working. I am anxious to have this step behind us, but I don't want to miss any lessons in my hurry.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It is hard not to try and move on isn't it! You had a lot of time with Travis and your heart hurts not to be near him. I am sorry that you have to carry this burden. It sounds like it is difficult. Keep talking to God- even the best of the best in the Bible wrestled with God over what they were thinking and feeling and were able to come out on the other side with great perspective. Love you all!

pramann13 said...

DANIELLE AND RANDY, I JUST READ ALL YOUR UPDATES ON JUSTINS - I CRIED, LAUGHED, AND THANKED GOD FOR WATCHING OVER YOUR WHOLE FAMILY. I WAS AT OUR COTTAGE FOR THE WEEK BUT HAD DAVE GO TO THE TOWN LIBRARY TO GET THE SURGERY UPDATES ON JUSTIN. I REMEMBER FRANCES WHEN YOU GOT MARRIED AND CAN'T IMAGINE MORE RAIN THEN HOUSTON GOT THEN! I THINK JUSTIN LOOKS GREAT. OUR PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU.
MARY