Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Our Story

I am writing a story for the DSAH newsletter. One of the first questions we always ask each other is, "How did you find out about your child's DS? Did you know before he/she was born?" There is a section of the newsletter that has people's real stories of finding out and the resulting turmoil of emotions. We are good candidates since we are so close to that emotion. So this week I have been reliving the experience of telling everyone about Justin: the audible gasps, the uncomfortable silences, the tearful faces, the confused sputterings, the encouraging e-mails, the hugs, and the words of support. I will never forget some of the faces. I will never forget the words of hope.

Our story is a marked contrast to most stories. I have heard stories of women giving birth and the atmosphere in the delivery room changing from calm to one of confusion and near mayhem. "Trisomy 21!!" And doctors entering and listing off the myriad of health problems the baby has and then ending with, "Oh, and we think your baby has Down syndrome." Some people say they felt robbed of the joy of having a baby. No one congratulated them. Instead it was a somber, "I am so sorry." One woman said the doctor told her, "The good news is that you have a baby boy. The bad news is that he has DS." She said, "The bad news is that he has a heart defect. The good news is that he has DS." First of all, it's about the baby. It's just not right that news like that has to be discovered and delivered when a woman's hormones are crazy already, but it takes away the joy of the moment. Of a new life emerging. Of a family member being added. Of God's plan in action.

I am so blessed that I only have happy memories of April Fool's Day 2008. I am so glad that we didn't find out that day. I am so grateful that he didn't have any urgent health problems. That day is only the beginning. We are not defined by that moment in time. Our story is still in the very first chapter, and I think we have a long winding adventure ahead of us.

No comments: