Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Different Kind of Christmas

Since the boys are sick and we don't want to infect anyone else, we had a low-key Christmas at home. It was the first time in a long time that I haven't been with at least some other family, even if it was just nearby family. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was really nice. Travis went CRAZY when we finally let him open presents. It is fortunate that there weren't many other presents under the tree because Travis didn't take much time to read the names on the presents. And Justin didn't seem to mind the help to have his presents opened. It took us a while to open everything because we had to take time out to play with each thing as it was opened. It's probably a good thing that there weren't more people here. They might have lost interest after a while!

Of course, here are the expected pictures from the holiday:




This is one of Travis's favorite gifts. It is meant to be an outside toy because he always wants to take his trucks outside. This one can take the abuse. But, it turns out that it can also be used to open other presents...


Justin got into the fun a little, although he couldn't really rip the paper. He got his first car...




And it was tasty!



In fact, most of his presents were tasty...




Travis got a BUNCH of tools. He loves them. Daddy taught him how to use the battery operated drill to drill his wooden screws into the workbench. Great. And now I hear things like, "Mommy, I am cutting the table!" Great. And he has learned what a reciprocating saw and jigsaw look like. Great.






(It's ROOT BEER thank you very much!!)

Travis got a tractor that I thought was for outdoor use, until I read the box. I am breaking the rules. Tavis is enjoying it, but his feet don't quite touch the pedals all the way around. The story of my life.





And of course, a tractor with a trailer and a baby means...




Haul the baby! (With adult supervision of course!)


It seems we had quite the vehicle Christmas. Justin also received a rocking horse. The little support circle is the perfect size and shape to keep him on. He seems to like it.



It tastes good anyway...



Randy and Travis took a long nap together in the afternoon. And Justin and I delivered the food we had cooked to our family who was gathering without us. I can contain Justin enough to prevent the spread of germs. Travis, not so much. The day went by quickly, and now the 2 youngest are in bed. Being the only healthy one, a lot of chores have fallen on me and I think I am ready to fall myself. It will be an early night tonight, but a happy and fulfilled one.
Justin and I took a walk when the other 2 were sleeping and there were several neighbors out walking as their children and grandchildren played with their new scooters and bicycles. It is such a joy to see everyone together. All the cars were parked in front of other homes, instead of at grocery stores and office buildings. I like that. It doesn't happen often, but it's nice that it happens on Christmas. Even if it's not always for the right reasons. God can work anywhere, anytime. I like that.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I understand sickness during Christmas. Rylen was in the ER last year Christmas Eve with RSV. Luckily we were not admitted. It would have been a crazy first Christmas. Unfortunately, he gave it to both of us too, so we had a hacking, coughing Christmas last year. I'm glad the boys weren't that bad and could enjoy the gifts. Even though time with family is wonderful, sometimes it is nice to spend time together without all the other chaos and allow the kids to enjoy each gift when opened. Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

Those pictures were fantastic to tell the story of your quiet family Christmas. I love love the one of him haulin' baby brother in the tractor! That boy of yours sure has a great imagination with his tools too! I'm glad you enjoyed your day!

Kelsey said...

Oh no. I'm sorry to hear that the boys are sick. I'm glad you had a nice, quiet Christmas despite it though. I hope they're feeling better.