Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Buddy Walk Preview

We will be participating in the Buddy Walk in about 10 days. It is a fundraiser for our chapter of the Down Syndrome Association, and this is a national event is led by the National Down Syndrome Association. This is the blurb on our web site about the Buddy Walk:


There are over 270 Buddy Walks nationwide in which tens of thousands of people from coast to coast, and across the world, participate each year. The goal of the Buddy Walk is to bring about education, acceptance and awareness of Down syndrome, and to create camaraderie within our own community - making the connection between community and individuals with Down syndrome. The Buddy Walk's vision is to create an environment in which individuals with Down syndrome are welcomed with fairness, enthusiasm and encouragement.


The event was originally scheduled for September, so we didn't plan on being able to participate this year because it would be during Justin's recovery. But, thanks to Hurricane Ike, it was rescheduled for December, and now we can walk! I am really looking forward to this because Randy hasn't been able to attend any of the events at the Down Syndrome Association of Houston (DSAH). I want him to be able to meet some of the people I have been talking with and talking about so he can put names with faces. Plus, I am hoping he can meet some dads to make some connections. I have no vision of him making friends like I have, because that is SO a girl thing, but at least he can see what I have been doing.

I picked up our t-shirts yesterday and they are so cool! Justin (and all the people with DS) have blue shirts, and the rest of us have plain white shirts. I think that is really nice. Here's my picture of the boys with their shirts. Justin's might be more appropriately called a dress! I will take lots of pictures during the Walk and post them after the event. You can check out the web site too. Our team is called "Justin's Jaywalkers". Isn't that fun?

1 comment:

Mrs TD said...

Sounds like fun! Sorry we'll miss it - maybe next year (just not the first weekend in Dec again, please?!?) We will be thinking of you!