Sunday, July 6, 2008

Preparation

Planning for something like Justin's upcoming surgery July 31 brings out the best in me. The organizer in me that is. I fully recognize that I will not think of everything, but anything that I can prepare now is one less thing to do later. I have been writing up a list of Travis' day and the things he can and can't do so he doesn't try to pull one over on his caregiver, whoever it is. He has already learned to go to the other parent if one says no to something! There is a list of the household things that need to be attended to, including how to use the TV/DVD remote controls, where the cat food is, and what days are trash days. I have stocked up on diapers, pantry staples, toilet paper and cleaning supplies. I have charged the camera battery and gotten a computer to use at the hospital. (It's only for a few hours a day, so I won't be able to post until the evenings probably.)

I still have to prepare food for us at the hospital and for whoever is with Travis at the house. I had a very sweet surprise this week when a friend brought down some containers of soup in individual containers labeled and ready to freeze for us to eat at the hospital. Wasn't that awesome?! I have some very fantastic friends and they continue to amaze me.

I also am preparing for the impending demolition and I have ordered 2 palates of sod to replace the deck, found a trailer to haul away the trash, and I have yet to find a place to take it. I also need to get enough drinks to ensure that no one dehydrates. And Randy put some Critter Rid down the hole by the stump to see if we could encourage out friends to move out. Nothing jumped out at him, so now we just have to hope that they don't die under there. My mom said that she had a friend who trapped some raccoons and marked them with spray paint before they dropped them 20 miles away and they found their way back within 2 days! I told you raccoons are smart!

There is the mental preparation as well. I realized that since Justin is so young I don't have to explain anything to him, which is a huge blessing, but I do need to talk with Travis. I am not sure how early to start because as soon as we say something, it means it is supposed to happen immediately in his world. We can't say that we are going to Pop's until we are ready to walk out the door because he will follow us around with his shoes until we go otherwise! He put my shoes on when I wouldn't put his on and he said "Ready to go!"

Preparing myself is a whole other issue. I have seen pictures and talked with other parents, but until I have to give my child to the doctor I don't think I will be ready. Lots of prayers for Justin and our family, and lots of support from friends, that's all I can say. I know that God is the one who will heal him. That is the very best preparation for me. Knowing God and trusting his character and leaning solely on him. He has all the strength, all the wisdom and all the power that I need to get through this. How great is that?!

1 comment:

~Erin said...

Such wise words. God gave you the gift of preparation, but also the chance to let go. I love reading through your emotions, but realizing the finality of you giving it to God. So encouraging, thank you!