Monday, July 21, 2008

A Prayerful Weekend

This past weekend was a very big and emotional weekend as we prepared for surgery.

We really wanted to have some friends get together to pray for Justin's surgery, but we didn't really know how to do it. We ended up having a Prayer Dinner, we called it. We had a dinner and prayer time with some of our good friends and church family. We ate dinner and then gathered in a circle and sang some songs, read some scripture, and prayed for Justin and our family. I cried because it moved me knowing how earnest each prayer was and knowing that God listens to the prayers of an earnest and righteous man. I also cried because I wanted to cry out, "God, I am so scared, but I believe in you and trust your plan! Help my unbelief!"
We thought about having someone watch the children so we could pray without the distraction, but I really wanted them to be included (as much as possible given the oldest children were only 6, and most were 2 and under!) Jesus wanted the children to come to him, and with the dinner being for a baby, I thought it would be good for them to see. We knew it would be limiting, but God knows our hearts, and he can fill in when we fall short. We are the best example and teacher for our children, and this was a great opportunity. One of the children even prayed for Justin!


It was so uplifting and touching to have so many of our friends gathered together for the purpose of praising God and lifting Justin in prayer. I don't know how anyone can face something like this without a church family. Every one of the people present means so much to us and we know how much they love Justin. Here are a few pictures of the prayer time:


Then on Sunday we went forward and asked for prayers of the entire congregation. Many people came forward and prayed over Justin and told us they were praying for him all the time. That was very uplifting and touching. Then in the evening the elders from our church came over and prayed over Justin in our home. Justin was not very happy and he screamed most of the prayer (he was HUNGRY!) I can feel the love that the elders and the rest of our church family has for us and I hope they all know that we love them so much too.

The weekend was hard because I know that the surgery is that much closer, but it was good because we are truly confident that we are COVERED in prayer. We can be confident that God hears us and that he is holding Justin close in his hand. We even sang, "He's got little baby Justin in his hand, he's got the whole world in his hand!"

No comments: