Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Audiologist-Part 2

So we were back for the ABR test this morning. We prepared by waking at 5:30 this morning and fighting sleep for the next 3 hours. At first, Justin would not sleep and I was really bummed because I did not want to do this again, but he ended up sleeping enough to get the data they needed. And the answer is...PERFECTLY NORMAL!

That's what she said. She was very pleased and said that she started with sound levels at normal conversation range and went down to a whisper and the right signals were getting to his brain and registering just fine. There is some fluid in his right ear, which is not uncommon or unexpected, since he lays down most of the time. But it is not affecting his hearing, so he will be right on track for speech and language development, as far as it is affected by hearing. She was very helpful and said that any time we are concerned about fluid we can go back for the test that was done last week (much easier than the test today!) and we can see if fluid is a problem. She is going to speak with the ENT and determine when we need to go back to either or both of them. But we are free at least until he's 6 months, unless we notice a problem.

On the way home we stopped at the lab and on the FIRST stick, she got blood. I told he she would and she sort of chuckled and said that it wasn't very likely. I told her that I had been praying for it, and Justin really needed it to be the first time. So that is one more pre-op thing off our list.

I took advantage of not having Travis (he spent the night at Me-Me and Pop's again-they agreed to keep him again!) and I stopped at Academy to do some shopping. One of the things that Randy asked after Justin was born was if I was going to buy some new undergarments. Apparently he's not a big fan of the stretched-out look. My awesome friends helped with a gift certificate to Victoria's Secret, but I also needed more work out clothes (again, according to Randy). I had a bit of trouble finding clothes that fit the rules that Randy and I have established:
  1. The clothing may not be wider than it is long. This applies to both tops and bottoms.
  2. If it hangs over, cover it up. (You can figure this one out.)

The shorts were pretty short, and if I am going to be working out at the gym, I do not need to be giving anyone a free show! You would be pleased to know that I was successful, and when the surgery and recovery is over I can return to the gym in well-fitting, decent shorts. (Randy has been threatening to add to my comments, so maybe this will be enough to pique his interest.)

3 comments:

Kerri Schaefer said...

I don't know if you are handy with a needle, but for the surgery you might want to make some onesies for Justin. For the IV he will have it works well if you open the seams either down the side of a shirt or the shoulder seams and add velcro. I would do both sides because the IV might move depending on where they get a good vein. It helps when you need to take of an outfit with out undoing an IV quickly. Just a thought I had when you mentioned "shopping". I know there were days when Malachi "lost his lunch" and we could get him in a new shirt QUICK!!! Call me if you have a question...At TCH they let the kids wear whatever they are most comfortable in unless you want a hopsital gown.

Unknown said...

Well, i have to say that I hurried to the comment section to see if Randy made a comment. HA! No such luck yet. I am so inspired by your strength and faith. Not to mention with all you are dealing with that we received a birthday card for Rylen in the mail! Thank you so much for thinking of him during this time. We will continue to keep you all in our prayers. It seems that God has been answering quite a few already!

Amy Mac said...

I'm so glad the hearing test for Justin turned out so well! It sounds like you had a wonderful day. We are continuing to cover you guys in prayer!