Monday, September 28, 2009

I Found Myself in My Son

Everyone always says that Travis is a little Randy. There is never any doubt whose he is because he looks so much like his father. People ask me if that makes me sad that there is nothing of me in his appearance. I have to say that I absolutely LOVE it because I think Randy is the handsomest man I know, and of course I want my son to resemble him. I have no fears that Travis is not my child, since I felt every single contraction of the 15 hour labor I experienced to bring him into this world. We joked when Travis was born that we were going to draw a goatee on him to make the resemblance even more pronounced. Of course, we didn't, but there still is no doubt that Travis belongs to the DeCarlo family.

So this weekend we found the first characteristic that is unmistakeably from my gene pool: We attended a family wedding this weekend and knowing that Travis is a cakeaholic, we described the event as a "party where you get cake". So when we arrived we checked out the cakes. They looked delicious and Travis was prepared to skip the main course and head straight for the cake. I convinced him that it wasn't our choice and we would have to wait for the lady in the white dress to cut it before we could indulge. The incentive all through the meal was the cake, and as soon as he finished his last bite, he was ready for them to cut the cake. We were in the first row watching the cake cutting, and I think we must be in just about every picture.

And then after they cut the cake, the DJ began the music and the dancing. It took about 2 songs for them to prepare the cake for us to eat, but by that time Travis was over the cake, and he just wanted to dance! And dance he did, slow songs, fast songs, line dancing, polka, he even raised the roof a little! I kept asking him if he wanted to eat cake or dance, and all he wanted to do was dance. A family member asked if we wanted him to watch the boys so Randy and I could dance, but Travis wasn't letting anyone cut in. He cried when we told him it was time to go home to bed (well past bedtime). He wanted to stay for the whole party.

I have always loved to dance. I wish Randy liked to dance too. Or at least tolerate it. But I guess if there has to be one thing...

So now I have a new dance partner!

No comments: