Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Another Visit to the Audiologist

Justin had another hearing test this morning, and he passed with flying colors! I wasn't sure what to expect since the last test he had was an ABR, for babies who cannot give a physical response to sound. I was hoping he was old enough for a real test, but I wasn't sure how they would be able to judge his hearing. Well, I am thoroughly impressed! I held him on my lap in a room with speakers in the corners through which the audiologist spoke and made sounds in different pitches and volumes, and then when Justin looked one way or another, a little stuffed bear would play the drums and light up in a box above the speaker. At his age she said that she usually just focuses on one side, so as not to confuse him. So she mostly used the speaker on his right side and he was great! I nearly teared up watching him turn to the sounds, when it was hard to hear, like a low pitch or volume. I wasn't sure he would be able to hear it, and he noticed it right away! She even switched some to the other side and he was able to turn his attention to that side immediately. She gave such a good report, and now we are released from the ENT unless something else comes up. We should plan for yearly hearing tests, but she really said that between Randy, me and the speech therapist we should pick up anything related to his hearing. And Travis did so well being patient and playing quietly during the test. I love visits like this!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is great news- given my age, I don't know that I could have heard some of those things! lol I am glad you had 2 very good boys that made for a great appointment! One more release from a doctor YaY!!!

datri said...

So glad it went well! Kayla never does well in those sound booths.

Wendy said...

We did that test with Jake. There were a couple of times that he reacted and I didn't hear a thing. I still don't know if he was just moving around or if I am the one with the hearing issues! Glad it went well today with both kids! Thinking about you and following your blog a lot more often than I write. I appreciate your specific prayer requests and love reading about the praises too.