Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tidbits

Just some things I wanted to make sure didn't get missed in the holiday shuffle:

  • We have been struggling with Justin's diapers.  I know that's silly, but he has no bottom, and his stomach is huge, which makes his diapers slip down.  That causes leakage, which is never good.  I debated going down a size in diapers, but I hated to buy a package and then waste them.  I was talking to a friend and she suggested using a cloth diaper cover.  She had glorious plans of using cloth diapers before she had children.  So she had prepared for that and then settled in to her new reality with twins.  So she passed along some gdiaper covers she had bought.   So we have been testing them out to see if that helps.  So far, so good, if I get them cinched up tight enough.  Still a work in progress.
  • Travis is singing in the Christmas program at church this next weekend.  He has to learn "Deck the Halls".  Do you know how hard that is?  I have trouble with the words!  Well, somehow he has mastered the words not only to the first verse, but the second verse also.  And with all the practice we now have Justin chiming in with the "Fa-la-la-la" part.  It's too cute.  I am trying to get a video, but he gets shy.  Travis tries to get him to do it by squeezing his cheeks.  He's having the same success as we are with plumping up Justin's arms and legs.
  • I have been working on getting Justin to walk longer distances.  He seems to need a goal at the end of the walk so I have been getting him to walk up to the front of church to put the money in the Children's offering.  I sit about 6 rows back, and he toddles right up and drops his money in and then turns around and get knocked over in the tumble of children pushing their way up.  So Travis tries to help him up and then Justin screams because he doesn't want help.  Then I have to intervene and we head back to our seats.  But the first part is great!  One of Travis' Bible class teachers stopped me after church and called Justin walking a "Christmas miracle"!  She said, "I just wanted to freeze time and watch him walk like that forever!"  Warmed my heart.  :)
  • My sister found out that she is having a boy!  So great!  Another boy to play with our boys.  Travis thought it should have been a girl.  Maybe next time...
  • I was struggling with how to get pictures with Santa this year.  I decided that paying for them was too much, and there were no Breakfasts with Santa that fit into our schedule.  My rule-follower friend told me that you can get pictures with Santa without paying for them.  Then the boys got sick and I couldn't take them to the mall last week.  I didn't want to wait until too close to Christmas because the wait would be too long.  So thankfully, my good-listener of a husband, to whom I have been lamenting for several weeks, picked up a card from Walgreens that informed us that Santa would be available on Sunday from 10 am -2 pm.  Perfect!  We swung by on our way home from church and got it done.  And I am SO glad since Justin refused to get anywhere close to him.   I had to hold him on the far side of me, away from Santa, and pose with the boys.  It would have been difficult to take the picture AND be in it.  This is the best we (Randy) took.  The good part was that they took pictures too and we got all of the pictures they took, for FREE!  I (heart) Walgreens!


  • Friday is Cookie Day!!  (I am so creative in my naming!  Good thing Randy helped with the boys' names!)  We will be making an insane amount of cookies, as evidenced last year.  I promised I would let people know so that if anyone wanted to taste (or help ;) we would love it!
  • I was reminded that when checking last year's winter clothes for fit, it doesn't help to check the length of Justin's sleeves.  Belly coverage!  That's the sticking point!  And I was reminded, again, of how glad I am we live in Houston.  I only have to worry about sleeve length for a very small portion of the year.  The rest of the time, the shorter, the better!  Thank you, Lord!

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

That's me! I live and breathe to follow the rules. Ha! I actually learned the "you can take your own picture" clause from one of my biggest rule-breaking friends, so I probably should double-check that one :)

So glad you found a red-suited Santa so you didn't have to settle for Camo-Claus. And the picture turned out great. Bonus! I also had to sit next to Santa and hold Clara the year she was 2.

Have fun doing Cookie Day!