Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Snow, Soup, and Santa

Our church does an annual "Snow Day" that has been expanded and now includes the kids' singing program, dinner and a visit from Santa.  This was Travis' first year singing and we spent lots of time practicing the songs.  They had the kids sing "Deck the Halls" - 2 verses!  That was tough to learn, but Travis did great and even got a third verse too (how many are there anyway?)
Here's the guys before the program began.



Travis refused to go up front so I had to go with him and stand as close as I could off stage but within visual range.  After the first song he got into it and he did much better!



Of course, what children's program would be complete without "Jingle Bells" and real bells to shake?



Then we did a quick wardrobe change and it was on to snow!  It was so unsteady that Justin kept falling down so I held his jacket to keep him from spending too much time on his bottom.  Travis quickly learned what the snow was for...


Throwing!!


It took a bit for Justin to learn that the snow could be picked up.


But then once he did, he decided snow is better for...


Eating!


I did try to explain about eating only fresh snow, but he didn't seem to care.  Probably good we don't live where there is snow all the time.

Our snowy family picture


Our friend making a snow angel.  She was quite damp when she got up.


Then it was back inside for Santa.  Actually, both boys could have stayed outside a lot longer, but Justin's nose was turning various shades of pink and his lips a bit purple so I had to pull the mommy card and call it a night.  In spite of all my worries and fretting about getting a Santa picture, I ended up with quite a few this season.  And this was a very friendly Santa!  Justin almost sat in his lap.  Given another two or three hours, it might have happened.



It was a really enjoyable evening.  I got in a few snowballs myself.  My aim wasn't too bad, unless you count the poor little girl I hit smack on the head.  I don't think it left a mark, but she was quite surprised!  I did get a few other people and there was talk of revenge next year.  We decided next year the adults should get 10 minutes of free play before the kids can go in.  That would be fun!

No comments: