Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Tremendous Accomplishments

Justin is growing in leaps and bounds and his progress astounds even me. I say that because I get so lulled into believing that he is doing better, but feeling I have to convince others because it is such minor progress. But we celebrate the little things at our house, so I share them with you:

Some switch in Justin turned on recently and he is doing SO MUCH better in standing! He is a very strong little boy, but he hides it so his mommy will carry him forever. It only takes 2 hands to get him to stand, instead of the 6 we have been having to use. He still likes to pick his legs up so you think he is standing, and it turns out you're just holding him in thin air. But he can stand! Randy was holding him the other day so I was able to see it for myself and take pictures. Usually it's me doing the holding and since Travis hasn't perfected his photographic skills we are forced to wait for Daddy to come home at night for real pictures. We cheered so loudly Justin got scared! It probably didn't help that he was tired, but it's the first picture of him on two feet! OK, maybe more like 10 toes, but you understand.



And he continues to awe Miss Char. She said she would like to have 25 Justins she is so proud of his progress. She watched me "talking" with Justin during therapy and she was so pleased with his communication ability! He has started making the "O" shape with his mouth (like for sucking) and babbling the "E" sound which is tighter than the "A" sound, which is very loose and easy to make. She thinks I would make a good speech therapist when I "grow up". Hmmm....

We had our first session with our new Keep Pace therapist (the new Miss Lucy I keep telling Travis...) Her name is Coleen and it's going to take a while for her to catch up with Justin I think. She was so proud of the things she was able to get him to do, things he's been doing for a while. It will definitely take Justin some time to warm up to her. I am grateful for some new techniques. Justin doesn't like showing off, so she will be slow in learning his ability. He sure can stiffen those legs! She tried to bend them to get him to crawl and he wasn't having ANY of that! He kept crying and looking for me to save him. That is the very hardest look to see on your child. I want to reach out and cuddle him close to me and tell him that I will never allow that mean woman to touch him ever again. And yet, I know that it's best for him to continue to struggle. I wonder if that's how God sees me just about every day. When I whine to him about how hard something is, do you think he has that same pull of wanting to save me, and yet knowing that he must leave me go through the pain to grow and mature? I wonder sometimes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Isn't it amazing what God teaches us through our own children. I always enjoy hearing what you learn to make myself think too.