Thursday, August 27, 2009

More Therapy Success

Today was PT and Justin continues to amaze Miss Penny. She has a big thick mat, like maybe 18 inches thick and very sturdy. She uses it like we use the play table, for him to lean against kneeling and to reach for toys. (I think a picture of the mat might help this imaging; I'll have to get one next time.) He almost pulled himself up to standing to lean over to get a toy that had fallen over the other side! And then he started bouncing on his legs! And she was holding his chest for him to move his knees and hands to "crawl"...and he DID it! Several times, without screaming and fussing. He "crawled" across the entire mat (about 4 feet). And then Travis took the toy he was crawling to get, and it was over. But Penny and I both cheered for him. She has him doing legs extensions to work on leg strength. I love this: She has those suction cup balls that she sticks to the mirror and then she holds him up to kick them off. Voila! Leg extensions! I think it's great! I think she is so creative and sensitive to Justin. She talks to him just like I do, so sweet and syrupy. I think that's what I like the most.

We start our new insurance September 1 and we are having to make some tough decisions about how to spend our limited therapy dollars and our family's precious time. We are so amazingly blessed that we never were "cut off" from our PT benefits. I cannot explain it, except that God is always in control and He gives us the very best gifts. I cannot tell you how often I thank God for Melissa. She is so good to us, and she loves our kids too. Therapy can be drudgery sometimes, but I cannot explain how I feel like family at this place. They encourage me in awesome ways.

I am believing again that Justin will crawl, and sooner rather than later. And that he will talk. I videotaped the kids just playing a bit yesterday. Justin was jabbering and I wanted Miss Char to hear the cool sounds he makes. He even made the "M" sound, so I KNOW that "mama" is not far off.

Sometimes I am so entrenched in Justin's world that I forget what a typical child his age should be doing. A friend mentioned a few days ago that her son (Travis' age) is back in preschool so her daughter (2 mo. younger than Justin) is excited to have the riding toys all to herself while he is gone. I kind of stared dumbly at her. It didn't even register that she is walking and can actually RIDE on those kind of toys. Travis might get a rude awakening soon. And I don't even flinch when people ask how old Justin is and then ask if he can walk. I just say "no" and don't even explain. It just seems normal. I suppose that's odd, but also good. I just moved Justin into 18 month clothes, and as I pulled out some of Travis' old clothes for him I smiled thinking about memories I have of him I certain outfits. Some great pictures of Travis playing outside or showing me a toy. Justin's pictures will be very different. But already I have a picture in my mind's eye of him "crawling" in an outfit that I can also see a little Travis showing me a flower. And both of them have big, round bellies and gigantic grins. Brothers, but each their own person. They both give me warm fuzzies, if I let them. It's a choice every day. It's not always an easy choice, but it's mine to make. I have the power to be better because of my kids. That's what I want.

1 comment:

~Erin said...

I'm so glad you are already seeing successes! Wonderful news!! Sometimes progress is difficult for parents to see, so I know that your therapist are thrilled with your level of involvement AND perceptiveness! Go JUSTIN!!!