Friday, July 31, 2009

Pictures and Such

I realized that some of my recent posts haven't contained many pictures, so I thought I would share some recent happenings in our home.

Last Friday was Meat Day and we have been increasing our poundage every time. This time we shared over 700 pounds of meat between about 35 of us. It is working so well, and I enjoy the process. One of the things we do every time is wash out all the coolers we use to make sure we get out all of the raw meat juice. And it was particularly juicy this time! Cleaning the cooler is Travis' favorite part! When I say we have to wash coolers he makes sure that he can help, so we can't do it during nap or when he's helping mow the lawn with Daddy. I think it's getting to use the water hose that is so appealing. He knows to get the soap and the sponges, and to drag the coolers down by the outside faucet. He is a pro! This time he filled the coolers with water and then got inside to wash them. I suppose that was the most effective, but certainly not the driest!


Justin has been flinging his toys. He shakes a few times and then lets it fly! So we give him some toys (nothing with potentially damaging edges- I've gotten a few bumps and bruises from flying toys!) and when they are all gone, we make him "crawl" to get them. He doesn't like that very much, but he is getting better with that too. He is doing hand over hand okay, but he still refuses any weight on his knees. He stiffens his legs so you cannot even bend them if you tried! This is how his play area looks within a few minutes of flinging:



He can empty his basket fairly quickly. And he can reach really far! You know how when people stretch they spread their legs out and then lean forward? Justin does that without any effort. That's the hyper flexible joints. I kind of wish I had them too! That is something we are supposed to watch for to make sure he doesn't use that as a way of getting down on the floor to his stomach. We are supposed to make sure that he leans over to the side to get to his stomach, or swings his legs around to get to his knees for crawling. So far it's been okay, but it is something he is doing more, so we need to watch him.


Oh, and one more thing: I have no pictures, so you will have to use your imaginations. (Travis sure does!) We were cleaning a few weeks ago and Travis had his mop and bucket to clean the floor. Then we had to go to therapy and Travis wanted to take 2 buckets and the mop with us. Now, it's about a 25 minute drive to therapy, so I was sure he would forget by the time we got there and we could leave them in the back of the car. Nope. We got out of the car and Travis asked to get his stuff out of the back. He joyfully carried his cleaning supplies into the office building when the therapy center is located. Usually there aren't many people in the waiting area. But of course, not this day- packed! We walked in the door with Travis' mop and buckets and they all burst out laughing! Thankfully they are all parents with young children as well and I know they were laughing because I know they have had to do the same thing themselves sometime. Travis turned self conscious and he hid behind my legs and I couldn't sit down because I kept hitting the mop and I couldn't see so then I burst out laughing. You know, the laugh-so-hard-you-are-crying kind! Poor Justin didn't know what to make of his family. Thankfully Miss Penny showed up and helped us haul all of our stuff back to the therapy room. Travis proceeded to mop all the mats in the therapy room and as a treat he got a sticker from the prize box. (Usually a reward for kids actually having therapy- this was Travis' 2nd treat!) He also fielded several requests for house cleaning services. I know all those ladies went home and told their husbands the story of the little boy with the mop at therapy. I laughed for several days every time I looked at the mop and buckets. I think we are legends in that office already!

No comments: