Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Exterminators for Hire

I have told you of our many small critters we have caught in our trusty trap. There are no armadillos, possums, or raccoons that are safe from us! (We even caught another armadillo last night!) But we have moved on to indoor pests now. For several years we have had wasps somewhere on the eaves or rafters or somewhere, and they come in through the vent in our bathroom. Sometimes it's just one here and there, and other times there aren't any for a long time, but apparently the lack of rain has driven them inside in record numbers. I am becoming the master wasp remover! Last week I removed 4 in one day, and Sunday there were 4 at one time! They don't ever bother us, but I still want them out of the house. I use a spaghetti sauce jar and trap them against a wall or ceiling and take them outside and let them go. We tried to see if we could kill them so they wouldn't come back, but it took more than 3 days to suffocate them, and they don't sit still long enough for us to stomp on them. It's probably the same wasps coming back again and again, but I am not sure how to prevent their return when we cannot be certain where exactly they are entering. So until then, I leave the jar in the bathroom and check the ceiling and vent before I sit Travis' bare bottom on the potty.

No comments: