Thursday, July 16, 2009

Therapy Update

I have been discouraging myself lately concerning Justin's physical progress. He just doesn't seem to have any interest in crawling and he won't support himself on his legs for walking. The range for walking is anywhere from about 18 months to 5 years, and I have heard of both extremes. I have been preparing myself for the long haul, even doing some exercises to get stronger for carrying the extra weight and learning how to lift and carry heavy loads safer and easier. Kind of silly, and maybe premature, but sometimes I can't help myself.

So today we were at PT and I cannot say enough about Miss Penny. She really loves Justin, I can tell. That just makes it so much more real. I am not sure of the right word. She tries different things and "listens" to his moods. He has good and bad days and she does such a great job of adapting and working with him. She had him on his hands and knees and a toy out in front of him to pique his interest. And he, on his own, moved his hands like he was crawling to get to the toy! Miss Penny was supporting his trunk, and he didn't really move his knees, but he moved his hands! I couldn't help myself and I cried the biggest tears of joy you can imagine. Justin got cheers all around, and lots of hugs and kisses. He didn't understand the thrill, but he liked the attention. It was just the jolt I needed to keep going.

Justin also did wonderfully on the big exercise ball. Miss Penny laid him on his tummy and he pushed himself up and looked in the mirror for several seconds, 5 different times! It was so exciting!

Miss Penny said that she was talking with Miss Char (ST) after Justin's session on Tuesday and she was gushing about how much she adores Justin and how wonderfully he is doing and Miss Penny enthusiastically agreed! More warm fuzzies. It was a good day.

On a related side note, we reached our 25 visit limit/review last week, and so far, nothing. Everything is prepared for when insurance requests more information, but they haven't yet, so we are just waiting. There are two of us in the office who have reached our limit and nothing has been requested from either of us. Our plan is still to switch to Randy's insurance in September, so if anything happens, we should only be a short time without therapy. Given how great things are going though I hate to waste any time. But just like I have been forced to slow down with my broken foot, I am having to slow down and celebrate whatever moments we have.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How exciting! I'm glad that Justin is doing so well and having such a wonderful support group. He is such an adorable little boy. I saw him fall asleep on daddy in class last sunday... so sweet!