Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Best Thing?

This week I made the difficult decision not to continue taking Travis with us to Justin's speech therapy. The room is small and Travis can be quite distracting. That isn't a problem for PT since Justin can turn his head and Miss Penny can still be doing her thing. But speech therapy is a different story. Miss Char is truly a blessing and she does not mind at all, but I want to ensure that Justin is getting the most benefit possible during these sessions. And plus, then I can pay more attention to therapy and see what I am supposed to be doing at home.

So I arranged for Travis to stay with a church friend every week during therapy. It is difficult to ask someone to be prepared to receive an energetic three-year-old at 8 am, but we have some of the most amazing friends. I cannot boast enough about the way everyone has been so willing to help us. I call and announce myself, and the first question I hear is, "Which one do I get?" That kind of gives me warm fuzzies!

We have been talking with Travis about this all week because he is going through a one of those attachment phases. He has been very excited and he was ready this morning early and said he was ready to go! Until we drove up to her door. And then he wanted me to stay. And he wrapped him arms around me as tightly as they would wind. You know, when they are holding so hard that you don't have to hold on at all? I think it's times like this that are even harder than things like Bible class or swimming lessons, because it's not for Travis, but for Justin, and I feel like I am failing one to care for the other! I knew it was important for Justin, but maybe we could try to make it work? Was I misjudging what would truly be the best thing? Driving away this morning I was in agony! I felt like Travis would calm quickly, but I wouldn't be able to return if he didn't! Such a dilemma!

Of course, Travis was fine, and when I returned he didn't want to leave. He said he wanted to stay for 6 more hours. Well, it wasn't quite that long, but he did have a good time, and I think we will live to see another week. And he already is asking when he gets to go back. So at least it was the best thing for today. Who knows about tomorrow?!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That seems to be the dilemma when you have two! I am already feeling the split of my time for Rylen and for Jace. I'm sure you would do nothing but what was truly best for both of them.