Wednesday, January 7, 2009

We'll Paint the Octopus Red

Travis got a book for Christmas titled We'll Paint the Octopus Red. It's a book that helps children understand DS. I had seen it before, but I hadn't read it. It got some good reviews, so I thought it would be good for him. The story is about a girl who learns she is having a baby brother or sister, but she isn't excited about it, so she talks with her dad and they come up with a whole list of things that she will be able to do with her new brother. Then when the baby is born, her dad comes to tell her that he has DS. She is upset because she thinks she won't be able to do all of the things with him. They go through the list and they see that while it will take a little more time, her brother will be able to do all the things that they had planned, including painting the octopus red. At the end there are several questions that children have asked about DS and some simple answers. We have read the book a lot since Travis received it, but I haven't been able to read the entire book without crying yet. Travis is so sweet and he looks at me when I am crying and asks me what is wrong and why I am dripping. It doesn't mean much to him yet, but I think it will later. For now it is just a good story. If I could get through it!

2 comments:

Kerri Schaefer said...

Praying one day you will be able to get through it! Travis will love it and it will be special always! Thank you so much for giving for our sweet boy in heaven. Your family is connected to our hearts through the trail Christ has presented us with. We pray for your faith to grow each day. thank you for service to others!
KErri
http://www.active.com/donate/snowdropfoundation/milesformalachi09

datri said...

I love that book. My 7 year old brought it home from the school library a few weeks ago. I was thrilled they had it! But I still can't get through the book without getting misty eyed and my daughter with DS is almost 5!