Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Day

I knew this would be a busy day, and I was prepared for that. We had to leave the house by 7:50 am and we probably wouldn't be home until about 5 pm. Each person requires three things to be prepared to leave the house: clothes, breakfast, and potty. I was hurrying around the house checking on how things were going: one boy dressed, eating breakfast now, I need clothes, other boy needs a diaper... I was dressing myself thinking that I should come up with some system of knowing how the day was going to be based on how much time I was able to spend getting myself ready. (And I did get up early to get dressed before the boys woke up, mind you, but someone forgot to tell a certain little boy that just because mommy was up doesn't mean it was time for HIM to be up too.) Like if all I get is hair combed and teeth brushed, that's the bottom tier, but if I get all the way to perfume, then it's a date night! So I was pondering this as I headed back into the kitchen and Travis says, "Mommy, you look pretty. Your hair is hanging nice." And he repeated this several times. Well that TOTALLY made up for it being a lowest-tier day! Completely unprompted and everything. That was so sweet, and I had to say that was from God, because I really wasn't feeling that bad or hurried, but that was a great reminder of who matters and that the day may be busy, but it was all good and truly what I was supposed to be doing. I would like to think that while I was wearing sweat pants and a t-shirt, Travis was responding to the inside and how that looked, because I know for sure at his age, that is what matters SO much more.


So then we were out the door and one of my stops was delivering some meat from Meat Day. My friend invited me in for a cup of tea, and since Justin was sleeping I stayed for a minute. It made me think of that story about the professor who does the demonstration putting large rocks in a jar and then asks his students if it is full and when they say yes, he adds smaller rocks. And then he continues with gravel, and then sand, and then in one version he pours his cup of tea in at the end. He then asks what the point is and they say that there is always room for something more and he says no, there is always time for a cup of tea. That's my short version anyway. So I was thinking how much there was to do and in the midst of it, before the day was too far gone, I had my cup of tea.


The day went great, and I wasn't hurried or stressed and we even finished early and Justin got a nap at home finally. I got some laundry done (Justin helped).



We ate leftovers (NO doughnuts!) and played a bit before bath and bed. I think I might even have another cup of tea tonight...

No comments: