Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Highs

The past few weeks have been so outstanding for our family. It is the longest stretch since Justin was born without going to a doctor's appointment! By next week it will have been five whole weeks without a trip to any doctors. I have enjoyed it!

But now we are back in surgery mode. In my mind it has been a long ways off, but now that we are a little over a week and it is getting more real it is a bit scary. I went back to the Down Syndrome Association Mom's coffee today and talked with more moms. Most of them have gone through surgery or may have surgery in the coming months or years. It is much easier talking to them about surgery than doctors. They know the pain of giving their child away and trusting the doctor. It was fun having them fawn over Justin and be impressed with the things he can do because they appreciate it and recognize how amazing it is for him to do the little things. It makes me feel good too because they know how hard it is to work with him and that it takes effort on my part. It was a good morning. A little encouragement goes a LONG way!

I am again reminded of how truly blessed we are that Justin was born at the birth center without any real complications. I haven't spoken to a mother yet of a Down's child who has been able to take their baby home right away. All of them have spent some time in the NICU and some even were transferred to other hospitals for further evaluation and treatment. God is SO good!

Justin has still not taken a bottle. Lucy, his therapist, has been working with him and he just gets mad at her. As soon as she gets him in position to eat he starts crying. We have gotten some new bottles and nipples so we are going to try again. I am really not stressed about this even though I am going back to work (in September) and I won't be here to feed him for long stretches of time. I feel like God is telling me that he doesn't need to eat from a bottle yet. I am still here. When it's time, God will take care of it. That's one less thing for me to worry about now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

When he is hungry he will eat-You are doing great! I'm glad to hear you were encouraged by your group meeting this morning!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you have people of like-minds to talk with. Though we all want to be there for your family, there are some people that can truly empathize.