Wednesday, May 26, 2010

They Arrived!

Justin's SureStep SMO orthotics arrived and we picked them up this morning. I wasn't sure what to expect but it went very well. He has to wear socks under them and then the SMOs snugged up very tightly, and then tennis shoes. They gave us a schedule for wearing them over the next few days to get him adjusted to them. I had to buy new shoes since they are very wide. As soon as I got everything on Justin's feet at the shoe store I let him stand up and he walked (holding my hands) farther than he has ever walked before! I was so shocked! He usually falls down and gives up after about 5-6 steps, and this time he went close to 20 feet.

This is what they look like:



And this is how they look on his feet. They are confusing to put on because I am tempted to put them on the wrong feet. The velcro goes toward the inside of his foot because the goal is to correct the pronation. They have a little bit of a heel you can see, which also helps putting them on right! That, and the stickers that say "R" and "L"!



Justin doesn't seem to mind them very much, although he is getting used to wearing stiffer shoes. I feel bad that he has to wear socks and shoes all summer in Texas, but I guess it's good that he is cold natured! (Travis took this picture, so it's a little off-centered.)



The only shoes I could find that fit over the SMOs and fit all the criteria (lace-up, flat sole that doesn't come up the front over the toe, tennis shoe) are these boot-style shoes. I went to 6 stores to try to find wide size fours that aren't incredibly long, and this was the best I could do. But with everything on, you can barely see the orthotics. We taught Travis to say "orthotics" and he says it perfectly! He tells everyone that Justin has "orthotics"!



Miss Penny said that it will take some adjusting for him to be comfortable with them crawling and maneuvering to stand up, but once he is up, she thinks he is doing great with them. He is usually barefoot in our house, so this is quite a change for him. I am hoping to find another pair of shoes, but for now these seem to work. Please continue to pray for his progress in walking, and that the SMOs will give him the stability and support he needs to take the first steps.

No comments: