Sunday, September 18, 2011

Tonsils & Adenoids Recovery

One word:  Brutal


I honestly thought that Justin would do better than Travis because Justin seems to have a higher pain threshold.  But Justin has been worse by 1000 times.  I think it's because Justin can't talk and tell us what is going on.  We explained that his throat would hurt and that it would hurt to swallow for a while, but that it would get better.  He ate a couple of popsicles in the hospital and some jello and applesauce, plus some scratchy foods, so I really thought it would only get better.  If he was eating that so quickly post-op, then by the end of the week we would be golden.

Not so much.

He has been screaming at the top of his lungs to the point of near hysteria and no amount of consolation helps.  I was up with him most of the first three nights (counting the one in the hospital) and he was exhausted all day long, taking naps nearly every morning and afternoon.  But the morning naps were while I held him and the afternoon naps started in his bed and ended with me holding him.    He whined every mealtime, even after we knew his throat didn't hurt because he was eating chips.  He would whine so much that I have had to hold him during meals and even that doesn't help. I believe we have only gotten the bare minimum of liquids and nutrients in him to avoid the ER because of dehydration.

We went to church Wednesday night because I wanted to go to class and I wanted Travis to get some attention.  Justin sat with me in my class and did great!  I was answering a question and the next thing I knew, Justin had his hand down my shirt!  That was quite the fun game for a while and I thought we might be doing better, but it didn't last.

He started vomiting on Friday and so we had to go to the doctor who said that his scars look great and all she could do for him was give us some anti-nausea medicine and warn us about dehydration.  Believe me, he can still crank out some major crocodile tears so we feel like we're still safe.  Randy got home Thursday and I was looking forward to some relief, but no.  Justin won't go to Randy so the only one who has benefited is Travis because now he has someone to give him some attention.

Justin does feel better between meals, but the minute we bring out food he starts whining and complaining. That's when I really wish he could talk.  I have tried smoothies, jello, ice cream, popsicles, juice, water.  Nothing is a winner.  I keep praying that I could understand what's going on but so far I got nothing.  I don't think he's in pain, but I don't know why all the protesting.

It has been a bad mommy week.  I am so tired that I am getting as cranky as Justin.  I feel bad for him, but I just want my sweet cuddly boy back!  Travis took a solid week to get back to himself, so I have high hopes for next week.

No comments: