Thursday, September 8, 2011

More Appointments

Yesterday I realized that I will have attended, by the end of this week, 5 doctors appointments and 1 surgery in the past two weeks.
Yikes!

But let me say, without having gone to Randy's follow-up, stitch-removal tomorrow, that they have all been really good news!

Last week started with Justin at endocrine.  It's been almost 5 months since we have been there and we did the blood work before we went this time (usually it's after).  She was very pleased with Justin's growth - 2 cms and 1.5 pounds, and I forget his head measurement.  She felt he was doing well, and his T3 and T4 levels are still in range, although the TSH level went up again after going down last time.  His growth didn't seem very significant to me, but she felt like things were still good, so we're good for another 4 months.

Then we went to check Justin's orthotics.  Sometimes I have to take a picture of the play area they have set up in his office.  It is Travis' favorite of all Justin's doctors.  I have considered just going there to play sometime because both boys love it so much.  The orthotist is a Christian too, and I think he is great.  Well, he said that Justin's feet haven't grown so he just put on new velcro straps and we were good for 6 months.  Then it took 10 minutes more to get the boys out the door.  Not sure how the office staff gets anything done.

This week Justin had audiology appointment and it went fabulous!  We saw the audiologist who we haven't seen since Justin's ABR test when he was a baby.  She was so sweet with Justin.  She checked and there was no fluid behind his ears so she doesn't think that tubes are warranted - Yeah!  And then she did the "big boy" hearing test and had Justin put pegs in aboard every time he heard a sound.  That's like combining Speech and OT and Justin did beyond fabulous.  He even heard (and responded to!) some of the really quiet sounds.  Travis and I were both in the sound booth with him and Travis kept wanting to give Justin the answers and tell him when to put in the pegs.  I finally had to hold him and clamp my hand over his mouth!  He didn't quite understand that it was a test and we needed to know if Justin could hear, not him!  He was mad at me at first, but by the end he understood.  Then the audiologist asked him to pick the orange peg and I had to tell her that he doesn't know that color yet.  After I told her what he does know, he did just fine.  Then she did body parts and he nearly fell out of his chair trying to show her his shoes!  I thought it was pretty cool that he did so well with the "big boy" test.  She declared him completely able to hear and good to go for another year.  Whoo hoo!

Those 3 visits, combined with Randy's two, plus surgery, have filled up my days.  And next week is Justin's tonsillectomy.  I went to our new Wednesday night Bible class and the subject in "Balance".  Boy, I could use some of that!

(P.S.  Happy Three-Year Anniversary to Justin!  Heart surgery three years ago today!  Can you believe it?)

No comments: