Monday, November 8, 2010

Everyday Thankfulness

Today I am thankful for being able to clean up vomit without getting sick.

Yeah, it's been one of those weeks.

We went to WI last week (more on that later...) for a quick trip and during the first night Justin spent most of it gagging or throwing up every 20 minutes.  I did manage to find a plastic bowl for him to throw up in and every bit of it was contained.  Until I stepping in the bowl when I got out of bed in the morning...

After some morning naps he felt better and we prayed that no one else would get it.  There were no more incidents and we felt good about traveling home a couple of days later.  We came home in the afternoon with enough time to get dinner for the kids and put them in bed before I had to return to the airport and pick up our friend Mary who came to town for the Buddy Walk (more on that later...)  We had a great day on Friday and then Friday night Justin was up throwing up again.  This time we weren't so lucky about not making a mess.  I was the baby snuggler and bucket grabber and Randy cleaned up and snoozed between incidents.

Then we were faced with the dilemma:  Do we all go to the Buddy Walk or do we stay home?  Is someone else going to get sick?  In the end we went with the theory of the germs blowing away in the breeze and warning everyone in advance.  And besides, most of the other people with kids who were coming called and cancelled because THEY were sick!!

So as people start gathering for the Buddy Walk, Travis starts acting tired and even laid down on the steps.  Not like him.  He rode the whole walk (I wisely brought the double stroller!) and by the end he wasn't looking good.  Justin fell asleep on me and I passed him off to Randy in time to hold Travis and have him throw up on me.  But even in that God was watching over us as I happened to have worn a tank top under my Buddy Walk shirt and Mary had a jacket which we put on Travis after his shirt came off.  That one incident was all for Travis and he has been fine.

We opted not to go to church on Sunday and just relax.  We dropped Mary off at the airport and prayed that she avoided the bug that was stalking our family.  The rest of the day was fine and we thought that was the last.

Now Randy appears to have gotten it and he is on his way home from work.  I told him not to go, but since I go to work when I am sick, I'm not really one to talk.  And while eating lunch, out of the blue Justin threw up one more time.  All over me and on the kitchen floor.  Guess it's mopping day.  Justin just hadn't gotten me good enough yet and I guess he didn't want to be beaten out by Travis.

  Really?  Are you kidding me?  I just have to laugh.  At least I don't have to make dinner tonight.

No comments: