Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Rough and Tumble

One of the things I have eagerly anticipated is seeing my kids play together. Since Justin was born people have warned Travis, "Wait until your brother learns to walk and then he will go after your toys!" So a part of me has been waiting for Justin to walk to experience that part of Justin's development. This past week they took brotherly love to a new level when the wrestled for the first time. Yes, I said wrestled. Justin was sitting watching Travis play when he came over and pushed Justin down onto his back. I waited to see what Justin would do. What he did totally caught me off guard. In the past he has just laid there watching Travis to see what he will do next, but this time Justin started cackling and kicking his legs in an effort to get Travis back! So Travis took that as an invitation and jumped on top of him. They grabbed at each other and laughed and giggled until they were breathless. It took me a few minutes to be able to tear myself away from this absolutely beautiful moment to get a camera. Justin is so flexible and in some ways almost pliable that it makes it funny to watch the positions into which he can contort himself. Wrestling has become their favorite game, next to splashing together in the bathtub. (Thank goodness for shower doors!)

















There is no need for Justin to walk for them to be able to play. Seeing them play together has made me think back over all the ways they have been connecting over the nearly two years that they have been brothers. Justin first starting watching Travis by tracking his movements through his field of vision. Travis began mauling/hugging Justin from the very beginning. He wanted Justin to watch him play trucks and he told me to put Justin, "Right here!" as he slapped the ground. Now he wants to feed him and console him when he cries. We often make "Justin sandwiches" when we hug, or we all "pile on" Justin. I can carry "two boys in my two arms"- Travis' words. (Admittedly, getting harder by the day...) I will say that there is a little jealousy over toys now that Justin can crawl to go after Travis' toys, but so far there have been very few battles over mommy or daddy. They both seem to know when the other needs mommy, and the other acquiesces. This was the first time Travis shared his toys with Justin.


Travis gave one of his dolls to Justin, while he kept the other in his lap. I remember being touched to see how good that made Travis feel. Of course, I know they are still young, and Travis doesn't know peer pressure yet, but I am reveling in the forming on a tight family bond for future times when those bonds are tested and stretched. A couple of weeks ago I said something that made Travis think that we were going to give Justin away, and he got very upset and said that we couldn't do that because Justin was in our family. While I don't ever want Travis to feel like he has to be responsible for Justin in any other way than a brotherly way, I love that he is drawn to that without prompting. Things are hopping here, and I am thrilled at the direction we are headed!

No comments: