Sunday, December 20, 2009

Work

I am not sure if I have mentioned it, but my parents were divorced about 6 years ago after 37 years of marriage. When that happened, I really struggled with the values and qualities that I had learned from them. It took a long time for me to see any good in my upbringing. It was a challenge for me to see past the hurt and frustration and pull the nuggets that I know were always there. It took some serious prayer asking God to remind me of the good memories of growing up and not to see them all with tainted lenses.


With that in mind:


This weekend, Randy has been sick, along with both boys. We even had to miss a birthday party that Travis has been anticipating for several weeks! So I had the opportunity to serve Randy by mowing the lawn. (Where we live, we mow the lawn in December to rake the leaves.) He has been wanting to do it, but all the rain we have had has made our backyard into a mud pit. I was thinking about the day as I mowed along when I was struck by the realization that I had my parents to thank for that very moment. They had taught me to see a job that needed to be done and to be willing to do it. They taught me not to be afraid of hard or dirty work, and to work at a job until it's finished. I have been hot and filthy and very sweaty more than once doing jobs with Randy. And it has been good for us to work together, even when the jobs weren't all that enjoyable. Doing it together made it so much better! I was grateful to have a specific example of a lesson I learned being put into practice in a tangible and meaningful way. It was actually sweet to see the three sickies through the beautiful new patio doors watching Micky Mouse Christmas shows. It was cute watching Justin up on his knees with his little face pressed against the window. His smile made me smile as I worked and I was filled with joy knowing that I had an answer to prayer and a great reason to thank God as I made another pass with the lawn mower.

1 comment:

Kimberly Robbins said...

How Beautiful! I could just see little Justin's face against the window pane. I too love "looking in" on the family I love so much. Makes me think of how God loves to "look in" on us and smile.