Saturday, December 19, 2009

Travis' First Play

We have been reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe to Travis and Justin (when he listens). Mostly it was out of self-interest. Since Travis and I have to sit for 45 minutes twice a week for therapy (he goes to a friend's house for speech) we read books while we wait. It's a small space and there can be lots of little kids, so we need a quiet activity. And I feel like a pack mule carrying Justin, his backpack, and my purse. And if it rains, even worse! The thought of carrying one...more....thing is too much. The amount of books we would need to last one hour is staggering sometimes. So one book was my goal. We have read A.A. Milne's Winnie the Pooh, and I am considering moving on the the Little House books (can you do that with boys?).

Anyway, the point is that I saw a children's theater group was doing the play of LWW, and I decided to make a special night for Travis and mommy and daddy. It took a bit of explaining for him to understand what a play is. He didn't understand how a person could pretend to be somebody mean. I though having read the story would help him, but he still asked a million questions on the way home.

The show was very fun, and Travis did great! He didn't talk excessively, although he was concerned when the lights went out. He liked the White Witch's policeman, and he wished he could have his uniform. He wanted to go back and see it again today! I guess it was a good outing!

3 comments:

DL said...

Have you ever perused THE READ ALOUD HANDBOOK by Jim Trelease? (I am SURE the library owns copies). It has terrific suggestions of what books to read to kids and when....I have used this book for years and love that it reminds me of books I would otherwise forget about, but that all kids need to hear aloud! CHeck it out!

Kimberly Robbins said...

how fun is that! I want to read more STORIES to Rylen aside from the board books. I am dying to be able to take him to a play like that one day. So glad that he liked it!!

Danielle said...

Thanks, DL, I will check that out! That's just what I need!