Thursday, November 29, 2012

Last Week

I know, just as soon as I catch up on blogging I fall behind again.  It's kind of like everything else that goes on around here.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Last week was one of those weeks that is crazy and busy and challenging and fun and stressful and relaxing all at once.  It's hard to see how that is possible but I can attest that it is.

Monday was relaxing.  Nothing big to do.  School is done for the year since we take our long break between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  It works out VERY well for us so far.  I plan to wait a little longer before starting second grade with Travis so we'll be doing a few unit studies the beginning of next year.  I hope I can manage it since that's new for me.

Tuesday was our stressful, busy, and fun day.  We left the house early for Doughnut Day and we ended the day with Zoo Lights.  And we didn't come home at all in between.  I fed my children doughnuts for breakfast and Chick-fil-A for lunch AND dinner.  We collected half of the new Franklin books they have in the kids' meals (and we already have the other half...)  We also went to therapy, Wal-mart, the airport, and the dentist.  I pushed my kids and they did great!  I have to be thankful that they are such fantastic car-riders.  Alaina didn't even cry more than a few minutes and she napped during the longer stretches.  I was so worried because we took me friend's mom to the airport and she asked specifically for me to take her so I didn't want her to regret her decision because of a screaming baby!  She got in the car and said she was so glad I could take her to the airport because I don't talk too much!  (Please don't cry, please don't cry!)  And then not only did she go to sleep peacefully but Justin took a little snooze too!  Yeah!

We got to the dentist a little early so we read our new Franklin books (Yeah Chick-fil-A!) and then we still had a few minutes to kill.  Fortunately the waiting room was empty so I made Travis and Justin exercise while I fed Alaina.  They did jumping jacks, push ups, jumped back and forth from one foot to another and hopped on one foot.  It was hysterical watching Justin try to imitate Travis.  He is so sincere and tries so hard!  After Travis was exhausted I had him sit down and stretch.  This is of course Justin's area of expertise based on his loose joints.  Justin can flop his legs open and lay flat forward on the ground.  It's funny watching Travis try to imitate Justin!

The Zoo Lights was something new that we haven't done before.  And of course I have no pictures because in my flurry to get everything together that we would need for the entire day I forgot not the camera but the camera battery that I was recharging so it would be ready for the day.  I tried, I really did!  The lights were impressive and they did a light show timed with music which was fun to watch, but we could only go to certain areas of the zoo and see a few of the animals.  Justin was telling me "zoo"  "amals" all day and he was kind of disappointed.  The zoo is supposed to be about animals and the lights just didn't impress our gang.  I don't think we'll be going again until the kids are quite a bit older.

We got home so late that of course Wednesday was doomed.  I decided pretty early on that it was going to be a crabby mommy day.   It started with Justin waking up and spreading poopy on his floor and all over his hands and legs and he also peed in his bed, on his mask (which he had thrown on the floor), and the box of clothes under his bed.  After I got everything in the laundry and Justin in the bathtub we had breakfast.  Justin spilled his medicine/drink (which is basically just sugar water) all over the table and floor I had just mopped.  It took me until 1:00 pm to get everything cleaned up and back to where we started when I woke up that morning.  I also had to make several insurance and doctor phone calls which never helps my mood.  And you know that was the day before Thanksgiving...

So while I was moping the floor I decided to think of all the things for which I am so thankful to help get me out of my funk.  (It seemed appropriate, it being Thanksgiving week and all...)  The day was not over yet though.  While I was mopping Travis laid down and took a nap.  A nap!  He doesn't do that by himself, unless he's you guessed it...sick.  Oh yeah, fever and everything.  As long as he was medicated he was fine but he did a lot of laying around.

Then it was on to Thanksgiving, which was calm and relaxing.  It was rather low-key with just Randy's parents and his uncle.  Lots of good food, and I got to take home the turkey bones to make yummy broth, which is one of the best parts of the day for me.  Then I did something I have never done before...
 
I went Black Friday shopping in the middle of the night.
 
I have gone out to one store before at midnight, but this was hard core (for me!)  We went to Wal-mart.  That says it all.  Now I want to impress upon you how big of a deal this was for Randy to agree to let me do:  Alaina does not sleep through the night.  Justin does not sleep through the night.  Travis often gets up when Justin does.  And Randy does not get up with them very often.  I get up at least four times a night and he gets up maybe once or twice a week.  This is nothing against Randy, it's just that I am often the only one who can help and he has to get up early to go to work.  He also has turned himself into a very deep sleeper.  So I was slightly worried that the neighbors might be calling our house asking if someone would take care of that crying baby!  But our kids had other plans.  Justin peed his bed, Alaina refused to take a bottle and Randy pretty much gave up trying to sleep.  He texted me updates throughout the night but he didn't ask me to come home.  Wasn't that so sweet?  After my friend and I got our lists checked off we did some girl's shopping.  I haven't been able to shop for myself and try clothes on in the store in, well, I cannot remember when!  It was so much fun!  I had a great time but when I came home (at 4 am) Randy was standing in the kitchen waiting for me.  Alaina was laying in bed doing the big sniffle thing as she was trying her best to settle down and go to sleep.  I let Randy go to sleep and I fed her.  Then I crawled our bed where Justin was waiting for me and he promptly cuddled tightly against my side.  A short three hours later (VERY late for our kids; I guess the night's activities took a toll on them too) the day began.  A very low-key, not-doing-very-much kind of day.
 
The rest of the weekend we watched football and decorated and recovered from illnesses.  We missed church but after lots of rest (on everyone's part) we were ready for another week.  This week has  been much better.  Still plenty of coughs and runny noses and phone calls with insurance and doctors but all in all, I think we are ready for the Christmas season.
 
(And while I would love to share some pictures of the week, I have run out of storage on blogger so it's either switch to a new format or pay for storage.  I haven't decided what to do yet.  That's why I can't change the picture of Travis and Justin on the top of the blog.  I can't even delete it!  Believe me, I have tried.)

1 comment:

Kaylee said...

Hey Danielle!
I ran out of photo storage too, on my blog about 2 years ago. I went with Photobucket and pay for unlimited storage. It's only about $24 a year. it's really easy to transfer the pictures from Photobucket onto my blog. I think my sister uses the same. Anyway, just thought I'd share in case you are still trying to decided what to do!