Friday, February 3, 2012

Neighborhood Soup

My neighbor sent her kids over with a huge bag of turnips last week.  It was close to dinner time and my creative mother was here so she set to work coming up with some way to cook the turnips for dinner that night.  I texted my neighbor to thank her for the turnips and told her that we were cooking them right away.  She replied with, "Great!  How do you cook them anyway?"  It turns out her cleaning lady gave her 20 pounds of turnips and she had no idea what to do with them so she just planned to pass them on to other people!  I gave her a recipe we found on the internet and we went back to our dinner.  The first attempt cooked the turnips like potatoes (boiled) and added milk, molasses, and brown sugar.  The kids were NOT fans and the molasses flavor was too strong.  I think the words, "Yuck!" and "I will never eat turnips again!" were some of the phrases tossed around.  Justin learned "yuck" from his older brother.  Go figure.

So later that week I decided to try a soup that combined potatoes, turnips, and onion.  It is pureed, which I have learned covers a multitude of dislikes.  My mom decided that we shouldn't call it by its name so the boys wouldn't know it had turnips in it, so she decided we should call it "Neighborhood Soup".   We topped it with a dollop of greek yogurt, a sprinkle of cheese, and some bacon bits. 

They gobbled it up!



As we were finishing our meal, my mom asked Travis how he liked the soup on a scale from 1 to 5.  He gave it a 4!  And he said he would eat it again.  I heard him telling someone about the soup that we had made and he was able to tell her exactly what is in it so apparently we didn't fool him at all.  I think it was the cheese.  I was just happy to get some vegetables in them without arguing.  Huge surprise!  Neighborhood Soup might become a family favorite.  Now I just need to figure out where the turnips are in the grocery store!

No comments: