Monday, May 25, 2009

Tidbits

Some of what we have been doing:
  • We have been in the throes of wedding preparation. I haven't had to do much on the actual wedding front, but I am responsible for clothing my family, which at times can be a challenge. Justin needed his pants down-sized from 2T to 12 mo., which thankfully my mom did quite easily. And then both boys needed ties to match the color of the wedding, so I found the fabric and my mom sewed. To my credit, I sewed on the snaps to attach them to the shirt. I think they are going to look great. I still have to find a bra for me (something that can hold up whatever is left after 2 nursing babies.)
  • Meat Day was this week. We started out 2 years ago buying about 350 pounds for the group and this time we bought over 600 pounds, so we have definitely grown! It was 12 cases of beef, chicken and pork. I seriously LOVE meat day because: 1-I love to save money. 2- I enjoy the challenge of organizing and executing the purchase and division of all this meat. 3- I get to hang out and chat with some great friends over raw meat. (Not quite the same as Starbucks, but still so fun!) and 4- A bunch of my friends stop by and visit with me when they come and pick up their meat.
  • I was talking with Travis this week about having Jesus in his heart. He was eating lunch and I was explaining how when you have Jesus in your heart he is always with you so you are never alone. He said that he didn't want Jesus is his heart. I asked why and he said," Because I am eating and he will get in the way of the food getting to my tummy." That's 3-year-old logic for you...kind of makes sense, doesn't it?
  • We are making progress on Justin's liquid consumption. The thickened liquids help immensely! He has gone from getting down about 10% to closer to 50%. And some sips ALL go down! That is such an answer to prayer. And we have been so thankful for all the ideas our friends have had for us. One suggested giving him jello, which I was reluctant to do because of the sugar. And I didn't want him to get all his liquid from a spoon. But we adapted that idea and made finger jello with fruit juice and gelatin. So he is getting juice and water, and he is eating it himself. That works much better for me!
  • Justin has had some great not-baby-food meals this week. I usually give him baby food cereal, fruit and milk mixed together for breakfast, to make sure he starts out well with liquids, but then lunch and dinner we experiment. He had meatloaf, baked potato, and mixed veggies for dinner that were only mashed with a fork, no blender! And he is really chewing! So he doesn't eat as much when he gets these type of meals because he gets tired sooner. He cut his fourth tooth this week, although that really doesn't help all that much with eating.
  • We went to WI a couple weeks ago to give a baby shower for my cousin. I will write more about that in another post. It was so cold in WI! I am not sure anyone told them it was mid-May! We went to the park and we couldn't even stay with the wind being so strong. Justin's chapped cheeks came back with a vengeance.
  • I mostly finished Justin's baby book! I have a few more pictures to add, but I had to clean up the mess I had on the table so I am officially calling it done. My mother needed the table to sew!

I have a couple more posts to go to catch everyone up. Then in June we are traveling again to Phoenix to help my mom move, and to Tennessee to visit my Dad. And we are trying to sneak in a trip to the beach with some friends too. I am not sure when I will work. Work always gets in the way of life!

No comments: