Wednesday, October 8, 2008

One Step Closer

My mom left yesterday, after being in town for the better part of 6 weeks. It was sad to have her leave, but it was necessary for us to get back to our normal. Travis wanted to go with her, and she convinced him to beg me to take him to 'Sconsin to play in the snow this winter. He asked for her a lot during the day, but she made it fine and we are settling back to our family of four. Travis thinks that she is a good cooker (and I am a good driver, for whatever that's worth) and she was invaluable for all that she is and all that she does. She will be back, thanks to my flight privileges, but for now, we are back on our own.

And we resumed therapy yesterday as well. Lucy was impressed with Justin, and she was able to do some work with Justin that doesn't require laying on his stomach. He is moving up to supported sitting, which he can actually almost do. He needs some help with his elbows, but he can do it for a second or two. And Justin is back almost to rolling to his stomach.

Last week when I went in to see Justin during the night, he was playing with his toes for the first time. I know that is silly, but it is so big for 2 reasons: 1. I read in a magazine about the "other" milestones (not crawling or walking) and one that was mentioned was playing with toes, and the time they gave was 5-6 months. Since I give Justin time off from learning for surgery, he is just where he should be with that milestone! 2. This requires a story: When Travis was a few months old, I was in the baby care room at church and another mother brought her baby, who was a few months older than Travis, into the room. She asked me to watch her while she went to the bathroom. She laid on the floor and played with her toes. I though, "Travis is NEVER going to be able to do that!" So silly of course! Travis did learn to find his toes, and a few other things! So that turned toe touches into a milestone for me, and now Justin is there! Who would have thought?!

Justin also has started playing in his exersaucer. We have to wrap a blanket around him to give him some support, and we put a pillow underneath his feet, since they don't actually touch completely. But, he plays, and he likes the toys. That is wonderful, since he is still very attached to me from being held so much during surgery. Here is a picture:





(Oh, and we haven't fixed the door yet...)



And I tried to take the boys' picture on Justin's 6 month birthday, but 15 pictures later, there is not one of Justin looking up. His thumb is way too good. It must be his tasty thumb, as Travis calls it. Travis won't let us cut his finger nails, because it will alter the taste of his "tasty" thumb! This is the best I could get:






Justin will put any finger that get close to his mouth, right IN the mouth, so I have to be careful if my fingers aren't clean. He will hold your finger and suck his, or whatever. He does prefer his right thumb (and Travis his left) so we'll see what that means in the future...



Travis is rocking with the potty training. He woke up DRY this morning! The only problem we have is that he likes to SEE what he does. This is a problem because when a little boy with a litte pee-pee looks DOWN, the pee-pee pops UP, and it most often mid-stream that Travis feels the need to look. So anything, or anyone (ME!) in front of the potty gets hit. I just finished changing my cute capris for sweatpants after I got tagged. We're working on it...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

little potty training tip for boys- turn him around facing the back of the potty so that when he holds on and leans down to "see" it will hit the back of the potty and not you. It also puts him in the right position for standing in the future. (Jeff taught me - I pass on my knowledge) I am glad to hear how well Justin is doing. I love the picture of him in the exersaucer. Too cute!

Kelsey said...

Justin looks so big in his exersaucer! That's so great that he found his toes; how exciting!

That was one of my favorite milestones, too. For a couple of months, it seems every single picture I took of Clara she's playing with or eating her toes.

Best of luck with the pottying!