Saturday, June 14, 2008

Where do we go from here?

So now that we have a diagnosis, the adventure begins. There are books to read, doctors to visit, plans to make, and most of all prayers to pray. It seems like it will never end. In the midst of it all, I have to remind myself that Justin is still a baby. That is what I need to remember most: He is a baby first and he had Down Syndrome second. It feels like a strange thing to forget, but it is easy to do. I remember thinking, "Is that a Justin thing or a Down's thing?" But in the end they are the same. But where am I going to focus? I choose Justin every time!

We have all the appointments made, and Travis is getting very good at going to the doctor. So far he has been really good. We don't take him to all the appointments, but there are so many that I can't leave him behind all the time. We did find out that we have to have open heart surgery for Justin the end of July. I don't understand it all, but my goal is to know it all by the time the surgery happens. We are not looking forward to it, but we are getting prepared. Texas Children's Hospital is fantastic and we think they will make the experience the least painful for us all.

This week I went to a Mom's Coffee Meeting that the Down Syndrome Association of Houston has every month. It was really a great experience. There were about 15 moms there, with children ranging from about a year to 19 years old. It was so helpful to hear their stories about the things they have gone through, and to see where we can help and advice. It has been a little while since I have cried about Justin, but they made me cry again. In a good way! Seeing so many people who have gone through the same things makes me feel incredibly encouraged! And several people mention seeing God working in their lives. Actually one person used the phrase "God thing" like we have used about seeing Justin's condition and it made me feel like God was speaking to me and saying it would be okay. I am looking forward to seeing some of the ladies again next month, if the price of gas doesn't keep everyone homebound!

1 comment:

Kerri Schaefer said...

Just want you to know we are praying for you, Randy, Justin and Travis. We are so glad you feel comfortable at TCH and know from experience you are in good hands. I am confident God is in control of everything. He has great plans for Justin and your family. Be the light to the world while you are going along your journey and no matter what the outcome God will take care of everything. I am so glad you have set up this blog. We will keep up with it as you go along and always know there are people praying!

Kerri Schaefer
www.carepages.com
visit:buddhabelly

**This is the blog that helped us through each day of our son Malachi's Battle with cancer. It truly helped us to feel closer to those who loved us and it is a great tool for us to see how our faith grew through it. Maybe you can find some helpful scriputres for your journey as well!