Thursday, June 19, 2008

More doctors and more coons

We went to the pediatrician yesterday for more shots. I thought we were just going to see the nurse for the shots, but we ended up seeing the doctor too. So we filled her in on the ENT information and agreed to delay a visit to the opthomologist for now. While we were there, she said that she had spoken with another parent whose child she sees, who also has Down Syndrome and she got her name and number for me to consider joining the informal support group that they have going in the area. The group is mostly younger kids (obviously still older than Justin) but preschool age rather than high school. The doctor told me her schedule for the summer and made certain that there would be someone in the office I would feel comfortable seeing during the times she would be out. And then she gave me a hug if she doesn't see me before the surgery to wish me good luck. All this makes me feel like we have definitely chosen the right doctor. How great is that?

And the raccoons have become very brazen. They come out during the day and drink water from the rock waterfall that we have in the backyard. And they sit and look in the french doors into the living room. The mother (I call her that, I cannot say that I have checked this out. I think she is a single mother.) leaves at 7:00 pm and goes to get breakfast for her kids and the rest must leave after that because the whole gang comes back at about 6:00 am. Travis now thinks that every animal that comes through our yard is a raccoon. And there are many because we are the only ones without a dog in our area. It is a little fun to watch, but it is freaky to think they are under the deck when we play on it during the day. I do take solace in the fact that they are probably more scared of us than we are of them....right?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Of course they are more scared of you?! Right?! I am so glad that you guys have found such a great doctor. I don't know if you know of a thing called Mamasource- D'lyn hooked me up to it. Anyway you might find more groups there in your area that have children Justin's age to meet with too. Just a thought. Thinking of you!