Monday, December 16, 2013

Code Pink

This is the time of year I like to wind things down and not plan a whole lot of non-holiday activities(aka: doctor's appointments).  I didn't do very well this year, although I already have 4 appointments for January, so I really did try to push off some of the visits.  Between Thanksgiving and Christmas I have 6 appointments, if no one gets sick.

Several of our appointments are in the Medical Center, which usually require some serious planning.  I have to wake the kids early and get out the door before it is light outside.  I have to lay out clothes and shoes and pack breakfast.  A couple of weeks ago we had to make one of these treks to see the endocrinologist (for Alaina; the doctor is worried she is a little small...have you seen Randy and me???)  It's fortunately the same doctor we see for Justin and his appointment was the week before so she (the doctor) was all ready to see us.  The staff had just started playing the movie Polar Express in the waiting area when Alaina's pager went off.  Since it wasn't very busy and the boys knew just where to find us, I went with Alaina and left the boys to watch the movie.  I came out and checked a couple of times: after Alaina got weighed in, after we got in our room, and while the doctor was typing notes.  They were fine.

Of course, the place that the endocrinologist has to start is with blood work.  The lab at the hospital is crazy busy and I hate waiting.  So I usually don't do Justin's blood work there.  I really like our lab out near where we live.  I can make an appointment and they usually get him the first stick.  But they just opened a little satellite lab on the endocrine floor.  I agreed to give it a try.  The boys were still watching their show and it was almost over so they didn't want to leave.  So I said I would be over by the lab and I left them again.

Alaina's name got called and they did the first stick.  Her vein rolled so the phlebotomist poked around to try to find it and after the 5th wiggle I told her to pull it out and start again.  She passed us off to someone else without another try.  Good call.  The next woman got her the first stick and after Alaina filled the numerous tubes allotted to her and her arm was wrapped solidly in an adorable pink bandage, we were free to go.

By this time the movie was over and the boys were playing.  Endocrine is on one of their favorite floors after all.  I guess I should say "boy" was playing.  After 2 laps around the now incredibly-busy floor, there was no Justin to be found.  I searched the bathrooms and did a sweep of the endocrine area and still no Justin.  Not truly alarmed yet, I casually asked the front desk check-in person is anyone had turned in a lost little boy.  She looked a little confused, perhaps at my nonchalant-ness, and asked for the details (age, what he's wearing, etc.).  She made a phone call and called for a Code Pink.  Then I heard it over the loud speaker, "Code Pink, Eleventh Floor, 5 Year-Old Boy, Red Shirt, Blue Jeans".  That's when I might have gotten a bit nervous.  Nurses started pouring out of the various departments asking questions, "What was he wearing?" and saying, "I'll check the bathrooms.  Has anyone checked the bathrooms??"

I was pretty sure he was somewhere back in endocrine because that's the area he knows on that floor.  I asked if I should check there but I was told just to stay put.  So all the parents are looking at me, wondering what the heck is going on, and I am just standing around looking like a dope, holding a screaming 18-month old with both arms wrapped in pink bandages.

It felt like forever, but it couldn't have been more than 2 minutes before someone came out of the endocrine area with Justin, walking ever so casually, not upset or at all concerned.  I confirmed that this was in fact Justin and hugged him tight.  Then he said he was scared, but now he was fine.  The crowd dissipated, except for the nurses who found him.  They said he was in a conference room by himself.  I guess he was getting ready for a meeting.

I was very glad to have Justin back and more than ready to make a quick escape from all the curious onlookers.  But we had to wait for security to come get some information and to clear us to leave.  That took forever!  They took Justin's name and my information, and then let us go.  I didn't even get admonished.  But I am pretty sure I got put on the bad mommy list.  There has got to be some kind of face recognition software that triggers something when I walk into the hospital.  Like the cameras keep an eye on me and my kids since I do such a poor job!

I was so glad to get out of there.  Alaina pulled off her bandages before we made it home.  She's none the worse for wear.  And I got my very first unsolicited, unprompted "I love you" from Justin before nap time that day.  That took away some of the sting of my failure.  Not all, but a whole lot!

1 comment:

sally said...

Hi, hope that someone reads this message! This is Sally Molhoek, went to college with Danielle. I now live in Flower Mound, TX, about 3.5 hours away, and I'd love to get together!! sallykatephotography@gmail.com

:-)