Saturday, June 9, 2012

Since Then

Alaina was born almost a week ago and it has been quite a week.  Alaina may have been the easiest part of it!  Well, maybe minus the first couple of nights.  She slept most of the days and then was up fussing during the night.  My awesome husband took the first shift of the night after I finished feeding her and then I did second shift and it worked very well.  By the third night we were doing much better and we both got more sleep.

We got some visits from friends to share our sweet girl. 



Clara requested a baby sister of her own.  I think she'll have to settle for sharing Travis' sister.


We took a trip to the pediatrician who declared her "perfect".  (We knew it already.)  Alaina wasn't fond of the once over, but Justin was a good big brother and tried to help her feel better.  He tells her "shh" when she cries.


Then we went to therapy where she got to meet all the therapists.  They all love her and fought to hold her.  Miss Caroline was enamored and Miss Sarah wanted to keep her during Justin's therapy.  She said she could work her into the session and Justin would enjoy it too!



There was lots of bonding time with Daddy and brothers.  Justin wanted to be in all the pictures!


There was lots of napping too.  Alaina is a great snuggler, just like her big brothers.



Some friends came to visit us Tuesday night and while they were here, Justin hurt himself somehow.  He started screaming and when I ran to him he was just standing beside the bed crying.  He looked fine, except for the tears and a little scrape near his eye.  He couldn't tell me what happened, but we figured out something more must have happened by the time he woke up with this:




His first shiner!

And then Wednesday things started getting crazy.  I left the freezer door open and everything thawed overnight.  I found it on our way to therapy so when we came home, my mom and Randy went through it all to see what we could save and what needed to be thrown out.  We cooked the four frozen pizzas for lunch, but the ice cream was all lost.  It was terribly sad since I had made spaghetti sauce, soup, meatloaf, muffins, and other things to eat over the next few months.  So now I am back to zero.  Not a happy day.  But that was better than what happened later.

We invited Randy's parents over for dinner (since we had lots to eat) and while we were eating, we noticed it was getting hotter.  Oh yeah, air conditioner failure again.  So we packed up and headed to Randy's parents house again.  I cried.  I had already planned a good cry for that evening after the freezer disaster.  It just got moved up a few hours.

And on our way over to their house, it started raining.  Heavy sleeting rain that turned into hail.  Hail!  Are you kidding me?  It's after 7 pm, I have three kids in the car, our new car, and it's hailing marble sized hail.  I called my mom and cried to her.  What else could I do? 

When the call was put it for fixing, the best estimate for when they could come look at it was next Tuesday.  I didn't cry, but I did appeal to Randy for a quicker fix.  By Friday he found someone who could come fix it and we were back home for the weekend.  We all breathed a sigh of relief.  Randy got a big hug and kiss.  Poor guy has had a tough week!

While we were at Me-Me and Pop's house, Travis and Justin helped make a cake for Alaina.  I guess it was a birthday cake?  Travis frosted and sprinkled it!


Justin and Alaina got some joint diaper changes.  They used the time to get to know each other!


And Uncle Craig and Aunt Kristi and cousin Lauren came to visit and meet Alaina.  It was a fun visit!  Travis and Lauren are great buddies and partners in all things adventurous.


We have almost made it one week and it hardly seems like we have gotten the family time I had hoped for Alaina's first week.  I am praying the next week is more calm and enjoyable. Alaina has been so good and adaptable with all the adventures.  She continues to be a blessing to us all!

2 comments:

Kaylee said...

Oh Danielle! congratulations!! Your birth story made me cry and I am so happy for you guys. I should probably tell you that I stock your blog every now and again to see what you and your boys (and now girl!) are up to. You are such a wonderful mom and I really love those little boys of yours. Whenever I see Thatcher I think I see Travis' smile! Breathe deep and rest and enjoy your beautiful blessings! Soo happy for you.
-Kaylee

Danielle said...

Thanks Kaylee! So glad to hear from you! We are enjoying our little sweetheart. She is a blessing. Too cute!