Tuesday, December 20, 2011

CPAP Update

The CPAP machine seems to be controlling my life these days.  I have not been sleeping in Justin's room, but I spend a large part of the night walking back and forth between his room and mine, making me think it might be better to sleep in with him.  He still cries a bit when I put on the mask, but as soon as it's on. he's ready for me to turn it on and then he gives me the fist pump so I know that it feels good.  He lays down just fine and goes to sleep, but then he wakes up about 6-8 times per night.  Given that many wakings, it seems to me there is no way he can be getting better sleep.

His wakings vary from the mask having slipped and needing readjustments (those wakings are heart pumpers since I am woken by piercing screams) to just sitting up and needing to be told to lie back down.  He is trying to sleep on his side, and that tends to push the mask slightly askew.  This new mask has a swivel hose attachment and sometimes it gets slightly kinked and that makes the air flow interrupted.  Wes (at the sleep center) told us that the CPAP machine adapts to some of those interruptions, so I am somewhat comforted by that, but I am not sure what that does in the long run.

I have been brain storming ideas to see how and what to fix.  Every aspect of the set up needs consideration:  Is his pillow too soft causing the mask to shift too much?  Is the mask too loose?  Too tight?  Is the mask fitting well enough?  How can I adjust a mask clearly made for an adult to fit well on a small child with a flat face and low nasal bridge?  I have been thinking about how I can revamp the straps to fit tighter and yet still make it flat enough to be comfortable when he lays on it.  By tighter I mean more securely, I guess.  Is Justin just convinced this is temporary and he's trying to hold out for us to give up?  Is this really not the right therapy for him?  A million possibilities.

I have plenty of time to think about it since I am awake so much at night.  I usually get up early to get ready before the boys wake up, but with Justin being so unpredictable I haven't been able to keep my routine very easily.  This morning I woke up and the coffee Randy was making (which I have been trying not to drink) smelled so good, and the peppermint mocha creamer called my name.  (I am drinking as I type...)  Please pray that we can pinpoint the problem and solve it quickly.  Thanks!!

No comments: