Tuesday, December 13, 2011

CPAP: A New Mask

I got a call from the sleep center last week asking how we were doing with the CPAP.  We had a pleasant chat about the medical equipment company who delivered the machine and helped us set it up.  I have not been 100% pleased with the mask Justin has and the way it fits.  The sleep center informed us that we have 30 days to return the mask and request another one.  Well, that would have been good to know!  I thought we had to wait 6 months until insurance approved another one.  The man (Wes) from the sleep center also said that we could come down for a mask fitting and check of the machine any time we wanted.  Another good piece of info to know.  So I made an appointment and we went today to see what we could see.

Right away Wes agreed that the mask wasn't a good fit.  He also said that there aren't a lot of pediatric masks available and that is their constant struggle.  He found us another one that we could try to see if it works better so Justin is sporting it tonight and we'll see how it goes.  The problem is fitting something in the small space between his upper lip and the bridge of his nose.  And we want a good seal so air doesn't blow out either the top and irritate his eyes or the bottom and irritate his cheeks or chin.  Winter is brutal on Justin's cheeks and face anyway and he always has red skn no matter how much vaseline and lotion we put on.  Nightime was always our time to grease him up, but now we can't with the mask.  Wes also said we need to make sure we wash the mask every day since facial oils will eventually cause the mask to slip and leak.

My other huge dilemma was the humidity setting on the machine.  I was wavering between the lower end settings, but last night I noticed the mask leaking and the air being so cold that it made Justin's cheeks cold.  (He woke up several times last night.  I spent the first night back in my bed but I went back and forth a bit.  About 4 times I think after we finally went to bed.  And then I took the machine off around 5:30 am because he was groaning and Randy was awake and I didn't want Justin to stay awake too.)  Wes said that it's better to err of the side of too moist because too dry will cause stuffiness and nasal swelling.  He did a great job to explaining the purpose of everything so I can understand it all and make better decisions. 

And I have to say, for a guy Wes was extremely patient and encouraging.  He even said that he could tell based on how Justin tried on his masks and used the machine for him to listen that we have been doing a good job.  He wasn't even upset when the first thing Justin did was pee out the side of his diaper and all over my leg.  He got me a towel and left the room for Justin to calm down.  And after listening to all of Travis' peanut-gallery comments and putting up with all of my million questions, he still thought enough to get both boys foam gliders and stickers to have as prizes for being so good.  Justin trotted out of there mighty proud with red puffy eyes, glider in hand, wearing no pants.  I am glad it was a warm day! 



No comments: