Sunday, December 11, 2011

Back to the CPAP

Justin's nose finally dried up enough to restart using the CPAP machine this week.  I wanted to try it the night of Cookie Day, but I had the cookie exchange and I couldn't get home in time for Justin's bedtime and I didn't want to wake him up and try to put it on later in the night. 

So, we started up the next night and it was just as bad as the very first night.  I wasn't surprised.  He let me put it on with no arguments, just a few tears, but he woke up quite a bit.  The first stretch was from 9 pm to 10:30, and then he woke up every half hour from then until 3:15 am.  Most of the wakings only lasted a minute or two, maybe up to 10 minutes at most, but at 3:15 he was up for an hour.  And I had to get up at 5:45 (which is late for me).  I was prepared for a tough day since I had to go to work.

Night two was better.  He slept for longer stretches, but he was still up about 6-7 times.  This time his wakings have been different than before.  The first time we tried the CPAP he would sit up when he woke.  Now he is just staying down on his pillow, but he moans and waves his arms.  So a few times after a minute or two of moaning I had to sit him up and wake him completely so he would stop and go back to sleep.  I didn't sleep very well, but I think Justin did better.  I had to work again that day and I was pretty tired!

Night three was amazing! He slept the entire night straight through!  I woke up around 4 am (I had to go to the bathroom, go figure...) and realized that it was almost time to wake up (for another day of work for me) and Justin hadn't stirred.  I was thrilled and I almost wanted to wake up Randy and tell him.  I thought better of it and went back to sleep for another hour or two.  I went to get ready for work and checked the computer just to see if someone had taken my trip.  (I was trying to get rid of it since it was Sunday but I wasn't holding out much hope.)  But someone did take my trip so I didn't have to work.

What a fabulous day!  Great sleep, no work, and I was able to go to church and spend the day with my family!  There were a few tears shed while singing today at church.  God is so good!  I have high hopes for getting back into my own bed again soon.  One more night on the floor and I think I will attempt going back to my bed.  Please pray that's a good (and easy) transition.

No comments: