Monday, August 22, 2011

The First Day of School...But Not for Us!

Today is the first day of school in our school district.  But Travis did not score a lunch bag this weekend during tax-free weekend, he did not "meet the teacher" earlier this month, nor was he outside waiting for the school bus this morning.  Neither was Justin, for that matter, given that he is able to start school because of having DS.  I am not a terrible mother, we just are continuing the adventure of homeschooling.  I have to admit, I had a few "tummy in the throat" moments today as I was battered by doubts and concerns.  And school did not go great this morning as Travis struggled to understand the long "a" sound in its various spellings.  Wiggly does not begin to describe it!  But during nap/rest time I listened to a recording of one of the sessions from the homeschool conference we went to last month and I calmed down.

This was the third year we went to the conference and as one of my friends said, "Every year I get so much more out of it!"  The first year it's like the deer in the headlights look.  The sheer volume of vendors in the resource hall is enough to cause panic.  It's so much better as I recognize names and understand the lingo.  I had a plan of attack and knew what I needed.  Of course, we came out with more than just the "needs" fulfilled, but I think that's how God works.

The event is amazing and I love the fact that this group makes the effort to plan something so encouraging.  The two-and-a-half days are filled with speakers, meetings, shopping, children's and teens' activities, family fun, and the whole experience is infused with encouragement and prayer.  I cannot help but come away feeling excited and renewed.  (I know that's the point....)

Randy and I usually go together to hear the speakers, but if it's difficult to chose we split up and attend two.  Every year it's more difficult to chose so we end up getting the sessions on tape and listening to them later.  Every year there is a session for homeschooling kids with special needs, which we have purposefully avoided because we aren't quite there yet with Justin and there are other sessions we think are more important at the time.  That was our plan again this year, but for some reason I changed my mind and went anyway.  I am so glad I went because my nugget for the conference was in that session.  The speaker (who I ended up running into at the gym later the next week!) recommended working on teaching skills that are age appropriate rather than waiting until you have no choice.  Like not waiting to teach shoe tying until shoe manufacturers no longer make velcro closures in his size!  Even if it takes longer, she recommended putting in the extra effort.  It was the nugget I needed in my struggle with potty training.  Of course, I understand that not everything works within her theory, but I can see the value as children watch their peers and learn from and with them.

I admit that we are not committed to homeschooling forever, but it's the right choice for us right now.  If Travis had been in school, I would have missed him singing this on the way to the grocery store this morning:



(I love recreating moments for blog-post effectiveness!)

 
And since every first day needs a picture, here's Travis' first day of kindergarten.  It's from February!




No comments: