Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Trip

When I go to work, I usually try to work as much of the time I am gone as possible.  That means I have very short layovers (or none at all - just day trips/turns).  But this month I decided that the best use of my time would be to do a couple of longer trips with longer layovers.  So I ended up with a 36 hour layover in Buenos Aires.  Completely unheard of for me, but it doubled by providing me with some much needed rest and down time.  I wanted to do a little sight seeing, so I found this fun little cemetery close to our hotel.  It's called La Recoleta Cemetery.  It happens to be when Eva Peron is buried, so it's plenty popular.

It's set up like a city, with streets.  It holds 4800 mausoleums, all above ground.  Most of the coffins are underground, but a few are visible through the windows or doors of the mausoleums.  This is the map you'll find at the entrance.



Here's a view walking down one of the "streets".  Eerily pretty is my description!


Eva Peron's mausoleum.  She is buried with her father and siblings.  This cemetery only lists dates of death, not of birth.  And these plates have the date of when they are installed, so some are only a few years old.



This was one of my favorite.  The next picture is of the right side of this mausoleum.



Here's one where you can see the coffins inside.  The next picture is the close up of the inside.



Some of the designs and architecture is amazing!


It almost looks like a park!


It was a nice walk and a fun visit.  You notice everyone has coats on.  It's winter in South America!  That was another bonus for us being from hot and humid Texas.  It was cloudy and very windy so we got the true winter experience.  I am going back this weekend and I think I am going to do some more walking and a little shopping!  Maybe some early Christmas shopping?

No comments: