Friday, January 14, 2011

Free Day

Yesterday was Meat Day and so today was supposed to be cooking day.  I had lots of plans for meat to prepare, but my mom's friend, Sharon, came down from Wisconsin to visit and she helped me cook everything yesterday.  And she said it was fun!

So last night as we switched off the porch light after another successful Meat Day I realized that we had no plans for today.  No therapy.  No errands.  No appointments or obligations.  What were we going to do???

These days come so very rarely that I couldn't bear to let the day be ordinary.  Sometimes it's nice to be home...all...day...long, but since we were home for Meat Day yesterday I decided that out was better for this occasion.  This day called for our first trip to the Houston Children's Museum.  Randy and I have been to the museum (ironically enough!) for one of the Evening with Genetics seminars, but this was the kids first go-around.

First we played some "bumper skeeball"  (My name, not theirs.  It was something about angles and bouncing things off other thing to get them into holes.  All educational and stuff...)


Travis built a ramp for balls to drop.


The boys did some driving.



We watched ping pong balls get sucked up into a tube and come down another tube across the room.  A favorite activity!


We tried to build a bridge.  We drown our person trying to cross.  I hope the next person got him to safety!


We took some silly pictures.


This was trying to get the ping pong ball from the bottom to the top without dropping it through a hole.  Travis did it twice without dropping it through ever!  I was very impressed!  I think they must go through lots of ping pong balls here.


This is way cool!  Learning about pulleys and how it makes lifting things easier.  I got my workout heaving the boys up and down.  This was Justin's favorite thing!


Telephone Man!!  He is truly made from old telephones and cords.  It is a sight to see.


We knocked down the arch, but I couldn't rebuild it without help, so we left it a big pile of rubble.  Justin enjoyed trying to lift them, without much success.


We build half a house.  That's all the big boards we could find.  Justin's cheese face cracks me up!


We planted some rice.



And the Great Wall of China.  Travis thought it was the walls of Jericho.


These are boxes to stick your hands in and feel what is inside.  Justin is at perfect peeking height.


And then he got tired and laid down.  Too cute.


We ended the morning outing with lunch with Daddy at Chick-fil-A since his office right nearby the museum.  I liked that best of all! It was a wonderful treat for the whole family!  I wish we had more free days, but since we don't, we plan to savor them as best we can. 

No comments: