Sunday, January 9, 2011

Every Emotion

This year did not start how I thought it would start.  I love new beginnings!  I cracked open our new Chick-fil-A calender and hung it on the refrigerator.  I made my resolutions and typed them very neatly on a fresh sheet of paper and slid it into the front pocket of my binder.  I was ready with my plan of how to accomplish my goals.  One of my goals involved getting to bed by 10:30 pm (since I wake up at 5 am) and did you know that the very best college bowl games don't finish until well past that time?  And they put the very best bowl games on during the first two weeks of the year?  It took all of one day to ruin the early-to-bed plan.  But instead of scrapping the plan, I revamped it and decided that if it involves football or dates with Randy, I can go past 10:30.  A fair compromise I think!

Then Monday it was back to the doctor with my mom and my babysitters (Me-Me and Pop) got sick so I had to find a sub at the last minute.  I ended up taking them to my sweet friend, Glenda's, house.  It was her birthday and I didn't know it!  I felt terrible!  And then Justin had 5 dirty diapers for her to change during the 4 hours the boys were there.  Then I felt worse!  But instead she offered me a cup of tea, which always makes things better, and the end of the day was so much better than the front.

And then my friend died.  Not completely unexpected, but sad anyway.  Actually, three members of our church died within a week.  I didn't want to open any e-mail from our church's prayer chain because it seemed like every one contained bad news!  God made a way for me to get to see Rita one more time before she died and I thank God for that.  It was so precious and I think that was the best hour I spent this week.

I had to work the end of the week and I got to take some of my friends to Costa Rica to visit one of our missionaries there.  It's a treat getting to serve people I know.  I've had my cousin unexpectedly on a flight to Honduras once, plus my college Spanish professor, and a high school friend.  Plus Miss Honduras and President Bush Senior.  I got a deck of cards out of that one.

It's been up and down for the first week of 2011.  No doubt.  But the boys are still healthy and silly.  Randy still has a job.  My mom is hanging in there with chemo.  God is still God.   I chose to focus on Him.

 And now it's time for bed!

(P.S. Only 70 pages left in Moby Dick!)

1 comment:

Glenda said...

Travis & Justin just helped make my birthday more special!! I love getting to be part of "their lives".