Thursday, January 27, 2011

Change

I have never been much of a resolution-maker.  When there is something I want to change about myself or a project I choose to tackle, I do it, no matter what time of year it is.  But last year I decided to try and see what I could accomplish given the time of an entire year.  I had read a book that recounted the story of a woman who became a Christian and chose to memorize one verse of scripture a day.  For three years.  The first three years of her life as a Christian she filled her mind with over 1,000 verses of scripture.  That really made me think about the priorities I set and so I decided to choose one or two things to do in each of several areas to make new habits or goals.  Last year I told you that I chose to read Moby Dick (I finally finished!!)   I also made Ephesians my focus of study and I read it through at least every month, often more that that, and I memorized the "Armor of God" verses from chapter 6.   There were several others, and like I said, some went better than others...

This year I think my view is lofty.  God is still working on that contentment thing.  It seems like so many of the contentment verses in the Bible focus on physical needs.  That is one area that I really don't struggle in very much.  I have never wanted a bigger house (more to clean - Ugh!) a newer car, nicer clothes, or more money.  But there are so many other unquantifiable desires that pull and stretch at my contentment: healing from illness, a reconciled relationship, an uncomplicated holiday season.  Those are some of the things that steal my focus and cause me to forget my have and to wallow in my want.   I was cleaning this morning and I was thinking about the verses in Philippians where Paul talks about contentment (4:11-13).  He says he is content, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  He says that he can be content even when his desires are unfulfilled.  Just wanting something.  Anything.  It just hit me in a different way this morning.  It's like God was reminding me that there were some major things that Paul really wanted that he wasn't getting and it wasn't just about a new pair of sandals!  That whole thorn thing was a big deal to Paul and God said no, but I don't think it ever stopped being a want.

I serve a big God.  He can do great things.  I have seen it in the past.  I am going remember to keep looking for it in the future.  Today.  Tomorrow.  This year.

Jeremiah 33:3  "Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know."

No comments: